DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Best led light to mount on a hdv camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/468576-best-led-light-mount-hdv-camcorder.html)

Marcus Martell November 29th, 2009 03:13 PM

Best led light to mount on a hdv camcorder

Hola guys,
i was wondering to know what's the best solution as led light to mount on a camcorder.I m using a z1

Thx a lot

MM

Chad Dyle November 29th, 2009 03:40 PM

I have been using the Comer 1800 for a while now. I just purchased two of the smaller 900's last week. I will see how well they work when they come in. I switched from the Sony 10/20 watt lights and have been very happy so far. The battery life alone is worth it. We mainly shoot weddings that have 4 hour receptions......in the dark.
Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light | L.A. Color Shop

HTH,

Chad

Gabor Heeres November 29th, 2009 04:22 PM

Every decision depends on your budget. If money isn't an Issue I would say the Zylight Z90 is probably the best and most useful on-camera LED-light on the market.

Marcus Martell November 29th, 2009 05:01 PM

i M LEAVING THE SONY HVL-20DM LIGHT now and i was planning 2 buy a very good led light.How much is zylight?I found somewhere here in EU that costs the double of the other one u mentioned

thx 4 the help guys

Gabor Heeres November 29th, 2009 05:23 PM

The Zylight Z90 is very bright and fully dimmable, but most important, you are able to alter the output color temparature adn let the light glow in all colors of the rainbow. If you don't need that, skip it. The Comer lights offer a lot of light for the money but are pretty big and heavy. What camera are you using?

Marcus Martell November 29th, 2009 06:11 PM

SONY Z1.
Thx for taking time to help me in this hard choice!

Gabor Heeres November 29th, 2009 08:36 PM

LW 1200 Ledlamp 6V/12V

I bought this light a few years ago for my FX1. It's a Sony HVL-LBP / Comer 1900 lookalike but with the option for D-tap powersupply. But, as said, it's quite heavy and pretty big. I don't know if this shop in The Netherlands is willing to ship to Spain but the ship with GLS so it should be possible.

Bob Grant November 30th, 2009 03:52 AM

I picked up a Comer 1800 a few days ago. I'm a bit lucky in that I can power it from the same battery that runs my EX1 so the weight is not that much of an issue.
Certainly the Z90 is the best by a mile but it is expensive and it is a bit heavy to go on anything other than a 'broadcast' shoulder mount camera. The problem for any light on a camera such as the Z1 is power. More light needs more power, it's got to come from something and you've got to carry it around.
The lightest weight lights are the small HID lights from Frezzi or Arri but even the 15W Frezzi needs 12V at over 1A and on a Z1 that means another battery. These little lights are also expensive and can be quite blinding.
Probably the Comer 1800 is the best solution even with the extra battery weight. If you don't mind hanging a battery off your shoulder in a bag then the weight is reasonable.

Rob Morse December 1st, 2009 11:43 AM

The Comer 1800 is a great light for the money. It's more bulky than it is heavy. You can shoot an entire party on 1 battery with great light coverage.

Alan McInnes December 1st, 2009 02:46 PM

I bought the Z90 and their Lithium Ion battery to mount on my Sony PMW-EX3. I love the fact that the Z90 can be tuned to the exact colour temperature of my shooting environment. Combine that with its fully dimmable output and I am getting results where the lighting isn't at all obvious. I shoot a lot of events and run and gun situations where quick set up and mixed lighting are my challenges. The Z90 does a great job of giving me just the right amount of light and the perfect "sparkle in the eyes" effect that I like. The only challenge was where to attach the battery. I bought a Zacuto rig with their wireless plate and it works great.