Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Lowel Rifa EX 55 with two hard lights:

Hello,

I just got the Rifa EX 55 (500W) which is an awesome soft light.

I am using it combined with two Lowel Pro lights at 250W each.

I use this setup for interviews. I am new to lighting and wondered what the height of the fill and back lights should be in relation to a soft light like the Rifa EX.

Any general tips about heights of lights for the key and backlight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a similar setup and generally try to get the backlight as high as possible - depends on the subject of course, but if they are wearing a collared shirt and the backlight is too low it tends to throw an odd straight shadow across their neck. Other than that I basically go by what looks best in the situation.
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I too try to go pretty toppy with the backlight/hairlight to get hair separation as well as some light falling on shoulders as well. Try to avoid lighting the TOP of someone's head though.

I tend to use my RIFA opposite a ProLight bounced into a silver umbrella. Depending on whether I'm keying near or far side of face, I'll use either the RIFA OR the ProLight as key. Keying FARSIDE, I may use the bounced Pro and fill with the RIFA from a little further back. Keying NEARSIDE, I'll almost always use the RIFA.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Rifa rules! :)

I am practicing with the Rifa for the second night and I LOVE THIS LIGHT. It is not cheap but what good equipment is.

Thanks for the advice guys. Makes sense. I will experiment a bit more.

Take care,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer View Post
I use this setup for interviews. I am new to lighting and wondered what the height of the fill and back lights should be in relation to a soft light like the Rifa EX.
You're using the same set-up I do with the Lowel Rifa and Pro lights. Depending on if I'm in studio or on-location will determine which stands I take with us. If you can get over the top and back just a bit, that will provide a nice hair light / back light. I would then take the 2nd Pro light and position it on the opposite side of the key light as a kicker. 250W is often too much and those "GCA" bulbs are really prone to early failure with any bump. I prefer the 200W FVL or the 125W FSH. Even then with the lower wattage, I still find myself cutting it back with the barn doors, a half CTB and a cheap dimmer from harbor freight - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Note that as you dim tungsten light, it will get warmer, sometimes too warm for my taste, hence adding the 1/2 CTB. If you're going to make it warm, do it all the way and add some orange (CTO) or yellow gel.

There is a great example at Lowel EDU: Components of Interview Lighting

You can learn more about positioning the back light, "kicker" or "edge light" in the two DVD's

DV Enlightenment at DVcreators.net
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

And here is a helpful combi stand by Manfrotto

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Great info!

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management