CoolLights 256 vs Litepanels MicroPro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 10th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CoolLights 256 vs Litepanels MicroPro

Has anyone had any experience with the two of these. I understand the metal vs plastic housing and the battery difference. But how about the outputs? Anyone have a side by side ? Thanks!
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Major Player

check the other posts and the web sites for each ... the photometrics are posted well on each site .. biggest difference you will see from the other posts is that the CL isn't intended for on camera, and I suspect the biggest application of the micropro is on camera... so some of it depends on how you would use it.

I don't think I've seen anything comparing the color quality of each.

In terms of features, both are dimmable and both take battery for portability.

I've used the micropro off camera but it's not really intended for that and doesn't have nearly the light output that the 256 does. That said, on camera, I really like the micropro..it's light, is self contained if I want (no external battery), easy on/off/dimming while you are using it (so you don't have to keep it on the whole time).

Hope this helps!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Not positive that this is still true but I know as recently as a year ago, from what have been told and read up on, almost all 5mm white LEDs were sourced from one or two Chinese factories anyway so the other than variances with board and power supply design, the "look" of almost all of these little LED panels should be almost indistinguishable. It does come down to output levels, construction quality and features.

I just took delivery on a CL LED256 and the quality of construction blows away most of the smaller rectangular LED panels and is close in quality to the much more expensive Lite Panels on-camera lights. FWIW, the LED 256 would function very nicely as an on-camera light IF you have a larger shoulder mount camera. It is too large for smaller prosumer cameras but, if you know anything about lighting, you know that on-camera is the worse place to locate a light anyway.

I am shooting interviews at a conference next week and am bringing the CL LED256, a small Matthews light stand and a small (11" x 15") softbox. Because the CL is battery powered, I can put the light on the stand with the softbox, flick it on and use it as a sidelight, fill light with whatever natural light will be available. It will look leagues better than any on-camera light ever could and will still be small, light and portable. I see no reason to every use an on-camera light unless you are literally running and only shoulder mounted. If you have time to setup a cam on a tripod, you have time lower the legs and flick on a light on a stand, especially if it is battery powered and you have no cables to deal with. On axis light = ugly and unflattering, off axis lighting = at leas the possibility of doing something decent looking.

While on-camera lights have their place, that is mostly for news where you really don't care if something looks good, you just need to see it clearly. But if you are shooting anything other than news like a doc, feature, etc. the only reason to ever use an on-camera light is as an Obie/eyelight.

I don't own the Micro Pro, but I have played with it at FilmTools. No comparison in output, the LED256 has considerably more, includes more accessories and is legitimately useful as an off camera light or as a significant source in a lighting kit. However, if you have a small camera and need an on-camera light, you may find the CL to be too large and heavy (about 2lbs).

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I run a EX1. Isn't about the same phyical size as the LP Pro? It's just the weight? I do a lot of run and gun in clubs and such, and need an on camera.
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

When I use the MicroPro I slip it into my bag with spare batteries and if I need it it is there, You do not want a light much larger attached to the top of your camera. The LED256 is larger with the barn door and would work better as an off camera light.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, the CL LED256 is physically larger and heavier than the LP. I have seen some guys running the LED256 mounted on an HPX2700, using an Israeli arm. But it would be too ungainly to mount on an EX1.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management