DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Coolights LED256 - DEMO

I recently bought a Cool Lights LED256 and did a short demo. Clip was done with a DVX100a.

UPDATE: I can't get the link to work without it embedding the video and don't want to break any forum rules so please just go to
vimeo.com and search for "Cool Lights 256LED" and it will show up. Sorry but my coding skills are lacking this evening! LOL!
The video is worth taking a look at if you are interested in this light. Hope you like it!

I didn't use any gain on the camera settings for the demo. The placement of the light was about 6 or 7 feet from the subject (me) and about 3 feet to my side (due to space limitations in my house). If I could have placed it a little farther to the side it would have worked a little better I think and I would not have been looking almost directly at the light which is actually pretty powerful.

Also, I was not using any fill or a reflector of any kind which actually would have helped, but wanted everyone to see just the light from the 256LED and nothing else.

Power was from a Bescor battery and not the supplied AC power supply or Sony L-Series battery.

I personally like the unit and can see a lot of uses for it. The fact that it is so compact and has a low power drain makes it handy for use almost anywhere. I also have the 600LED and this unit makes a nice addition to my lighting kit.

Would appreciate any comments from other users who have one of these.

Search videos for 'cool lights 256led' on Vimeo

Last edited by Tom Robertson; December 13th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

just post a link, not embed code please :)
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I was actually in the process of trying to get that to work as you had suggested.

It wouldn't work that way without embedding itself so I just posted the link listed above which will take everyone to the demo. Hope this works OK and everyone finds the demo interesting.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Major Player

looks pretty darn bulky for the size. eh... i can see the appeal for super low budget applications, but i'll stick with my litepanels 1x1s ;)
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Tom,
Thanks for sharing. Like you, I own both the LED600 & 256 lights from Coollights. This is my preferred run/gun interview light kit when flying with minimal gear. The 600 works great for key or daylight fill. The smaller 256 is a versatile hairlight/backlight. I use camera batts. more often than the provided AC supply which also eliminates power cables.
Main advantage of the LED600(and 256) over the much more expensive Litepanel 1x1 is the inclusion of 4 separate bank switches (as well as a variable dimmer) that allows dimming without shifting of color temp. Litepanels don't have this feature.
Coollight units are the best bang for buck - Case, barndoors,filters,AC supply are included as standard issue. Accessories include choice of batt. mounts and softbox(LED600). All litepanel expensive accessories are optional.
To be fair, the Litepanels are more elegant, better machined - not sure how photometrics compare , I think litepanels 1x1 might have a softer , more even light quality from personal observation, but the coolights are brighter/punchier, more throw. I soften coollights with included diffusion filter or my own gels. I do like the better yoke of the Litepanel 1x1; much more robust than the light stand mount on the bottom of the coollights.

thx for posting your video review, once again.

chris
Chris Li is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management