Do I have the "gist" of buying lights correct? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do I have the "gist" of buying lights correct?

The physical light itself is the same for the key, fill, back...but it is fitted with different accessories and the intensity of the bulb is lowered/increased?

As you can see I am lost when it comes to lighting...I am predominantly a outdoors and natural light shooter. If I ever need lights in the past I had a basic on camera setup. However, I am gearing up to shoot a video in front of a white backdrop and don't know exactly what to purchase (or rent in my case).
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This should help:

Lowel EDU - a Lighting Resource Center

Go through the foundations and then the lessons. When you finish that, you'll know enough about lights to feel very comfortable buying, renting, and arranging your setups for most kinds of shots.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
I am gearing up to shoot a video in front of a white backdrop and don't know exactly what to purchase (or rent in my case).
a grey backdrop :-)
you know many "white" things on video that we see are not nessisarily Stark 100% white, the movie and video people will use an 80% white as white, so it doesnt blow out everything else.
i cant think of anything i would less want to have as a backdrop , but if White is the need, and it is toned down a bit with either the lighting or the backdrop itself (better) then you will get your stark white still, without having a Fight White on your hands that the video camera cant deal with due to its limited contrast range.
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wouldn't I want to light the backdrop more than the subject to get it to be as white as possible with no sight of imperfections?
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Major Player

surely you can test this in 2 seconds with ANY video camera or even a digital still camera, just hang up a white sheet, and put someone in front of it, then take a shot, you will observe what happens so fast, you wont need to ask.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management