DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 10th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice needed for equipment for lighting interviews

Folks, I would greatly appreciate your weigh-in on what lighting fixtures/ types I should pursue to fill out what I already have. I'm concentrating on interviews -- generally one-on-one. I currently have one Tota light with umbrella and one Rifa 44 softbox. I'm considering buying a 42" reflector and a pro light with a snoot. The reflector can be used for fill, the pro light for back light. I'm short on fixtures, clamps and the like as well. So I'll be buying a boom stand, barn doors for the tota, as the tota (I believe 750) is very harsh and hot.

Should I start from scratch; should I go LED, fluorescent; is there an issue with mixing tungsten lights with LED or fluorescent? My budget is limited so I'd like to build on what I already have. I've already bought Vortex Video's How to Set up Light & Shoot Great Interviews. But frankly, my EX1r and accessories wiped me out! I don't have another $1500 to spend to replicate Doug Jensen's kit! I'd really appreciate your input. Again, all I intend to do is one-on-one interviews.

Last edited by Charles Penn; April 10th, 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typo
Charles Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes there will be issues mixing tungsten and florescent fixtures unless you color correct one of them. Buy the reflector, get one of the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358608-REG/Impact_R1142_5_in_1_Reflector_Disc_.html setup's and you will be amazed at how much you use it. The Lowell Pro lights are very handy and I use the two that I have all the time.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you can, go with dedolights - very easy to use, very nice quality to the light, very sturdy.
IMHO the best lights to use for interviews.
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dedos are lovely but they're also pricey. Give serious consideration to a LTM Pepper 100. Accepts both 100 and 200 watt tungsten, 4-in-1 snoot and focal spot are available.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management