DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Frezzi on Camera Light for on Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/477636-frezzi-camera-light-camera.html)

Chris Sgaraglino April 26th, 2010 09:20 AM

Frezzi on Camera Light for on Camera

I have a A1U and I am seconds away from purchasing the 91602 Frezzi MRFKIC-NP1 Dimmer Micro-Fill On Camera Video Light Kit with 2.3 Ah Battery & Quick Charger and the 96405 Frezzi MRSB, Soft Box for the Micro-Fill and HMI Micro-Sun Gun Video Lights for use in indoor, low-light, and late night event type of situations.

Will this be a good setup for all around general use for fill light?

I do have some make-shift lights for interviews and such, but need something a little more portable when on the road or in the mountains.

Am I barking up the right tree or is there something better for the $650?

Scott Cantrell April 26th, 2010 10:50 AM

Chris,
I used to sell Frezzi lighting quite a bit. Please don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company manufacturing grade A product.
It's just that with LED lighting now available, it makes me consider various options when speaking with a client. The downside to the Frezzi lights is the amount of power they require. Therefore, the Minifill is sold with the NP1 battery. The battery can be troublesome configuring where to mount it, have it draped over your shoulder, or attached to your waste. Then you have the cable running from the battery to the light which can get in the way.
You may be interested in taking a look at Litepanels Miniplus system
Litepanels MiniPlus
This system is compact, lightweight and the battery attaches right to the back of the light.
The kit comes with all the accessories you need for ENG application
Litepanels MP-CLPK50 MiniPlus-One Lite Package (Flood Daylight 5600K) - Kit Include: MiniPlus Fixture, 12V DC Rechargeable Battery, 100~240V AC/DC Power Supply Adapter w/ International Plug Set, 6 Piece Gel Set, 8.3" Articulating Arm, Hot Shoe Adapter, 12V DC 2" Jumper Cable, choice of 2-Pin D-Tap or 4-Pin XLR Power Cable and Carrying Case
Tapeworks Texas Inc Price: $1,125.00
$50 Mfg Rebate Available
Price after Rebate: $1,075.00
Yes, this kit is more expensive than the Frezzi, but I do believe you will find it well worth the additional investment.
Another option is Litepanels MicroPro which is powered by AA Batteries Litepanels MicroPro LED Camera Light
TWT Price for the MiroPro is $404.00
Anyway, just some additional ideas for you! Contact me toll free 866-827-3489 if you have any questions or if I can assist further.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Chris Sgaraglino April 26th, 2010 11:12 AM

Hey Scott, thanks for your reply.

I did do some research and what I found was that an LED system cost twice as much for half the light; and in looking at your recommendation, that seems to be the case as well.
It also seems that LED's are more susceptible to light fall-off and the incandescents.

Do you find this to also be true?

I am a little concerned about the battery, being as big as it is, but I am looking to get as much quality and controllable light as I can for my budget.

Does this make sense, or am I way off base?

Added...

Here is what I found:
The Frezzi at 5ft puts out 103fc witht eh 35w bulb.
The Lightpannel puts out less than 20fc at 5ft

Scott Cantrell April 26th, 2010 12:42 PM

Chris, you are correct, the Frezzi lighting will produce more light than LED
I have always been inpressed with Frezzi products due to the filaments they use in their bulbs.
I just wanted to provide you with a couple other options. If you are going to stick with Tungsten lighting using bulbs, then Frezzi is definitely a good choice.
Looking at specs,
Frezzi MicroFill with FTH 35watt bulb provides 103fc @ 5ft
Litepanels Miniplus provides 26fc @ 4ft and 13fc @ 6ft
LCD lighting technology is more expensive due to the lighter weight, less power consumption and little to no heat dispersed.

Chris Sgaraglino April 26th, 2010 01:06 PM

Thanks Scott...This helps a lot.

Dan Asseff April 26th, 2010 08:34 PM

Hi Chris,
I have the mini fill dimmable with soft box two battery belts.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91763-REG/Frezzolini_91203_MFIC_4X_75W_Dimmer_Mini_Fill.html
But now they sit in the closet. I went to led on camera light and two led lights on light stands at the reception.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Bob Grant April 27th, 2010 03:22 AM

If you want a Frezzi light then you'd do much better with this one: 92814 Frezzi MRAX2-4X Dimmable 15W DC Powered Micro-Sun Gun HMI Light for HD/DV Camcorders with XLR-4 Male Connector, 4' cable
Just be aware it is extremely bright, even with the softbox on it. The HMI and LED lights are way more efficient and therefore use less power and generate less heat than tungstem lights. For 'reach' this on camera light is very hard to beat. Of course 'reach' comes at the price of coverage, you cannot have it both ways. One of the best solutions is the lens on the Comer LED lights. The 1800 has nothing like the output of the MRAX2 though.

Shaun Roemich April 29th, 2010 12:28 AM

Frezzis are well built IF tungsten balanced can work for you - I used one the entire time I was shooting news on a BetaSX camera (with power tap so I didn't have to worry about belts) and the only recommendations I can make are - follow Bob's advice and get a dimmable if you get one, get a dichroic filter that flips out of the way, and try to avoid the model that mounts on a round post. I could NEVER get the tightening screw to stay in place properly so my light always wanted to swivel around. Cheap easy to replace lamp elements (unlike my Anton Bauer UltraLight2) that (as mentioned) put out a ton of light at the wattage.

I used to use mine on VERY low power even in bright daylight JUST to get the eye sparkle in available light interviews.

Again, it's up to you to decide if tungsten works for you, but if it does, you will have a hard time finding a better all around on camera light than a dimmable Frezzi.

Chris Sgaraglino April 29th, 2010 08:06 AM

Ok, I hear the hesitations in the posts about tungsten, but here is what I don't understand.

For "Quality & Controllable Light" - it seems to me that the battle between Tungsten and LED comes down to "Output vs Dollars".

Being a photographer, I know that light can make or break a photo/shot. Simply put bad light = bad video and it is much harder to fix in post than a photo.

After some of my own concerns about the Micro, I have been looking around more and I going with the Mini and not the Micro system.

This changes my battery weight from 2 pounds to 4 and my light from 5oz to 12oz (both dimmable).
But I go from 20w or 30w (Micro) to 20w to 100w (Mini) of dimmable light.

If I add their Soft Box II with the different diffusers and gels, I have a fairly complete compact system for most lighting on-the-go needs for about $900; I have not been able to find anything that comes close this this in LED - not for this price for this amount of light and options?

It also seems to me that to get enough light from a LED system I am looking at a fairly large (in comparison) box on top of (or next to) my seemingly small A1U camera.

But if I am wrong - throw PC into the wind and tell me!

This video system I am building will be "it" for quite some time. Video is a companion service to my photography business. Clients are asking for it and I resisted for a long time. However, now that I have made the jump, I am actually having fun with it! But for now, it is only helping me get photography jobs I previously would not have been able to get and is only about 15% of my revenue and I am only shooting about 15 minutes total from each job. Once it takes off and has more of an impact to my bottom line, I will be able to justify larger budgets - but right now I am trying to squeeze every penny out of this onion I can.

I hope this makes sense? And I do really (feelings aside) want honest truthful opinions!

Shaun Roemich April 29th, 2010 12:03 PM

Ok, to over simplify, here's a summary of MY OPINION:
- Do you need this for mostly inside work under tungsten instruments? If so, buy tungsten.
- Working around a constant mix of daylight and tungsten indoors and close to your subject? Buy LED.
- Working mostly in bright sunshine, either outdoors or near windows indoors? Neither will work well and you need an HMI which is out of your price range.

To filter a tungsten to full daylight, you'll get about 25% transmission so your 15w Frezzi becomes a 4w. To filter to ~4300Kelvin (half day), you'll get about 50% transmission.

Now, put those numbers up against the LED light which is probably switchable colour temp and the realities change a bit.

LEDs don't have the "throw" of tungsten and tungsten is inherently 3000 - 3200K light. You need to make a choice based on HOW you'll be using your light.

Chris Sgaraglino April 29th, 2010 01:00 PM

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense...

My shooting:
Most of what I am shooting is on construction sites with no light or light form "work lamps".
Second in line are short interviews (inside & out). I have constant light-sources on light stands, but these are daylight balanced (hence the soft-box with filter) and if needed the Mini will be use just for fill.
Third, dusk & dawn shots in the mountains where there is only little natural light and outdoors, when light is needed.

Bob Grant April 30th, 2010 03:57 AM

One challenge you do face is your camera is not that sensitive by todays standards, the A1 does like a lot of light. Also from what I recall of using the A1 it does not cope well with strong backlighting, either the lens flare or the sensor gives a fair amount of bleed. I can imagine situations around construction sites where you're in very deep shadow with full sunlight coming in the sides of an incomplete building. To cope with this you nreally need a LOT light. Such lights are available and do run off batteries. We have the 200W Joker Bugs with the AB battery option. A lot of light but the price is very high, probably around $4K by the time you buy the batteries and a charger.

Perhaps that little Frezzi HMI I mentioned will do you best. It doesn't have much spread so it reaches a long way. I think in your circumstance no one expects a shot to rival studio lighting so a bit of the deer in the headlights look will be acceptable. Even outdoors it can provide usable fill against sunlight.