DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Flo-Beam 3 point light kit from Digitaljuice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/478996-flo-beam-3-point-light-kit-digitaljuice.html)

Jason Steele May 19th, 2010 01:07 PM

Flo-Beam 3 point light kit from Digitaljuice

I would like some opinions on this partner product being offered by digitaljuice on their website. I am looking for a one stop shop 3 point light kit for wedding videos, some local commercial production and food still photography (those 3 things are the bulk of my work)
is this a versatile solution to my lighting needs?

Flo-Beam 3 Point Lighting Kit :: Digital Juice
thanks in advance
-JS

Jeff Anselmo May 19th, 2010 04:37 PM

Hi Jason,

You didn't mention your lighting budget; but I guess you have enough money for the DJ light kit (for $769)?

Since most of your work are weddings, commercials, and still photogs, I'd say this is probably a good starting light kit. You're probably aware that some situations require different light set ups; and sometimes an LED or a fluorescent light is NOT always the answer.

So, you may need to purchase a "hard" light, like a tungsten, for those times you'd need it, or to supplement your lighting, i.e, background lighting. (Plus, having more varied lights in your kit is always a good thing)

Having a light powered by a battery is a wonderful thing though! We actually use a Cool Lights LED600 and LED256, powered by batteries. We shoot inside factories alot, so not lugging around cables is a great thing.

Good luck,

Jason Steele May 19th, 2010 05:56 PM

thanks Jeff!

budget is tight so was trying to keep my beginner light kit below a $1000
i am also a "light" novice so was hoping digitaljuice put together a good product and could take some of my "thinking" out of it.
i like the fact that it runs off of low energy and it doesn't cause heat. i use a lowell kit at work (for commercials, its got 2 floods at 800 watts and 2 spots at 500 watts) and that sucker will make the talent SWEAT and will heat up a room fast. so i was drawn to this kit.
what i dont like is the 6' stands. it says 8' but they are not, they are now 6' foot stands....

any more opinions? i been researching lights all day long. i did look into the cool lights they are just a LITTLE bit expensive right now but i will always be adding equipment... just hoping this kit may be a good place to start.
-JS

Mark Wheeler May 19th, 2010 06:03 PM

Jason,

This is strictly an intellectual response as to how I'd spend (close to) $800 on a lighting kit. It is not necessarily superior to the Flo-Beam offering.

LTM Pepper 100 w/200w tungsten bulb, barn doors $256 ($179+$30+47) (integrated gel holder)
Impact Air Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand, Black - 13' $70
Impact Fluorescent Cool Light Two Fixture Kit $300 (incl. bulbs and stands)
Wescott Scrim Jim Medium Reflector Kit $281

All items sourced at B&H. Total $907

Luck.

Jason Steele May 19th, 2010 06:34 PM

thanks for that Mark!
gonna look all that up now. dont know what "LTM Pepper" is but will get into it....

anyone else? a collective opinion would make me feel better lol.
-JS

Mark Wheeler May 19th, 2010 08:02 PM

Apologies,

The LTM Pepper is a small versatile Fresnel fixture (it actually has a focal spot available for it :-) ). The Impact fixtures aren't the best... nor the worst... and I prefer the CFL tubes to the long tubes just because they're easier to protect and pack. Also the CFLs are available up to 105 watt (roughly 300/350 tungsten equiv.) giving each Impact a potential approaching 1500 lumens each. The Wescott Scrim Jim provides some really valuable light shapping functionality. I'm also a big adherent of cheap Wal-Mart/Home Depot clamp lights fitted with color corrected CFLs that you can buy on Amazon mounted on PVC stands. Not terribly professional looking (unless you do some cosmetic work on 'em) but extremely practical and affordable.

You'd have to budget some gels for the Pepper (no big deal) but you'd end up with a reasonably versatile setup and more bang-for-the-buck then you'll get out of the (IMO) overpriced Flo-Beam kit. For a case give serious consideration to one of those plastic packing cases that they sell at Home Depot. Buy some spray foam and plastic and save some serious money.

I vastly prefer to waste money on lenses instead of on lights.

Jeff Anselmo May 20th, 2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Steele (Post 1528933)
budget is tight so was trying to keep my beginner light kit below a $1000
i am also a "light" novice so was hoping digitaljuice put together a good product and could take some of my "thinking" out of it.
i like the fact that it runs off of low energy and it doesn't cause heat. i use a lowell kit at work (for commercials, its got 2 floods at 800 watts and 2 spots at 500 watts) and that sucker will make the talent SWEAT and will heat up a room fast. so i was drawn to this kit.
what i dont like is the 6' stands. it says 8' but they are not, they are now 6' foot stands....

Hi Jason,

I'm a bit of a novice myself. Living and working in LA for years, I've been spoiled to work with great camera folks and DPs. Now, having a small business run by my wife and myself, I've had to learn and re-learn basic light setups!

I do agree with Mark that you can buy several light fixtures (work light clamps, etc.) and use gels or diffuse for certain situations. I personally love using china balls, as they give a nice diffused look. Unfortunately, I'm a bit ham-handed and never been a good DIYer (thank God for my father in law :)

Whatever lights you buy, make sure to never skimp on good light stands! I've bought some cheapo ebay stands and they didn't last long.

Best,

Marcus Marchesseault May 21st, 2010 03:09 AM

Jason, I generally go along with Mark's recommendation but for myself I would choose differently. You must choose lights based on your individual needs. Actually, both of the kits talked about so far are very similar. They each have two reasonably bright soft lights and one harder light. Since, like me, you are on a budget, you should learn a bit more about each light and consider how they each could fulfill your needs.

The FloBeam has two fixtures with two PL55 lamps in each. These are a common type of fixture patterned (I believe) after the Kino Flo Diva-lite 200. There are a few variants online including two types from coollights.biz. The Kino Flo models are made of corrugated plastic coroplast and are very light. Light weight can be a big consideration and that is why I would go with different lights because I need ultimate portability. I take too long to set up light with my cobbled-together kit. I find it important that I now put together a kit that can be carried in one trip from my vehicle or taken on an airplane or public transit depending on where I am living/working. Of course, Kino Flo lights are quite a bit more expensive.

I've decided for my own needs to probably go with mostly LED fixtures and a couple of tungsten hard lights. Since I want extreme portability, I think I'm getting Lowel Pro-light fixtures as my tungsten hard light. They are small and only weigh two pounds compared to 3 pounds and about two inches in each direction more for the LTM Pepper 200. The Lowel also costs a bit less.

On the other hand, nothing says professional light like the shape of a fresnel fixture. Client impression can also be an important feature for your lights and a tungsten fresnel like the pepper or an Arri 300 certainly look more impressive than a Lowel Pro-light. It is hard to say which is more impressive with the soft lights as the PL55 straight lamp fixtures are very different than the CFL models and both are oddly shaped.

I'm hoping to get a 600-led as my semi-soft fixtures because they are so flat and lightweight. I also think that I want a 256-led fixture as a backlight. I'm concerned that the 128-led included with the FloBeam kit is too weak to be an effective backlight. Of course, if you mix a tungsten light in with daylight fluorescents, you will need to use at least 1/2 CTB to get it closer in temperature to the flos which will kill about 25% of the light making the 200W more like a 150W which isn't all that much brighter than a decent 128-led light.

Perhaps all this illustrates why there hasn't been a huge consensus as to what kit you should get. I think it is also fairly obvious why "It depends." is a common answer around here.

Steven Davis January 26th, 2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Steele (Post 1528814)
I would like some opinions on this partner product being offered by digitaljuice on their website. I am looking for a one stop shop 3 point light kit for wedding videos, some local commercial production and food still photography (those 3 things are the bulk of my work)
is this a versatile solution to my lighting needs?

Flo-Beam 3 Point Lighting Kit :: Digital Juice
thanks in advance
-JS

Jason, did you end up getting the kit?

Steven Davis March 4th, 2011 04:26 PM

Re: Flo-Beam 3 point light kit from Digitaljuice

Jason, did you end up getting the kit? v2

Dan Rollins January 29th, 2012 05:00 PM

Re: Flo-Beam 3 point light kit from Digitaljuice

Nearly a year later and I too ask... Jason, what did you end up buying?? I too am on a tight budget and was interested in the Flo-beam kit.