96 led light - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #61
Regular Crew

96 Led

I did a bit of checking for power supplies. The center pin of the light is 2.5mm positive. Digikey and Mouser both have 12vdc wall supplies with the 2.5mm coax connector. There is one in the Mouser catalog that would work well. It's $18 and for addtional $5 you can buy a plug adapter kit to use it in the UK, Europe and Australia. The part number is 675-PW170KB1203B01. Mouser site is Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor. Another 12vdc wall supply is part number 418-TR1512-12. This one is $14. There are others on their site with the 2.5mm plug. If you are good with a solering iron, numerous vendors have the wall transformers for a few dollars each, you can buy a 2.5mm connector and make your on supply.

David
David Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #62
Inner Circle

You can take your light to your local Radio Shack and have them test which AC adapter will work for your light.
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #63
Trustee

I don't think it is a great idea to use a 12V supply with a light that runs on ~7.5V. That's a huge percentage increase and maybe enough to just burn everything out. Personally, I wouldn't go over a 9V supply and I'd try using a resistor to bring that down below 8V. I'm sure there must be 7.5V supplies around somewhere.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Actually, the plug on the back says 5.5 volts to 16.5v. So it seems like it would do fine on a 12 volt supply.
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #65
Trustee

Thanks for that info, Chris. That means the light has it's own regulator/supply/doodad built-in which makes it that much more attractive. I'd love to standardize all my LEDs on 12V.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #66
Major Player

I got my light yesterday and shot some footage. Here's my initial impressions:

-Like others said, there's a slight buzz when dimmed, but not really a problem unless you have a mic right next to it.

-Only uses sony L and not the M batteries too like the 126 or 160 light. I guess I overlooked that part in the description. Look like just the two rear tabs are in the way and I can probably snap that off to make it work but that would probably void Taky's warranty.

-Rear battery door is little difficult to open at time and as well as taking the battery out when all are loaded in. I use a piece of tape folded in half lengthwise and put it under to let me pull out the batteries.

-One other concern is that the manual said not to cover the top vents. Is this going to be an issue when stacking vertically? The glass covering the led does get pretty hot and smells a bit like burning after I left it on for an hour to test the battery life.

min
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #67
Regular Crew

will it fit on the top mount of the z1 or do you need an a adapter?

cheers really want one :)
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #68
Major Player

Mine fits right on the shoe of my Z1.No problems. The plastic ball-swivel thingy is a better mount than the one attached to my Lite Panels Micro.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #69
Regular Crew

does it really compensate for the z1, poor low light, looking to get festival night footage with this light :)
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #70
Major Player

Just received my z96 light from Taky. Fast mailing, and bought it for the $79 intro price (just made it in time :) Thanks alot Taky!

Like other folks, I'm so far impressed with this little light. I haven't tested it extensively, just a darkened office. Good diffuse lighting overall. Haven't heard a hum when dimming (but haven't put it close to my ears either).

I also bought the combo Sony NPF770 batt and charger with the light. I find it a bit difficult to insert the battery due to the slide switch that opens up the battery plate for the AA batteries. So, I have to open the batt plate to slide the NPF770. No big deal...except in run n gun situations, like a wedding, which I'll be shooting in a couple weeks. (Which reminds me...I need to buy another battery...)

Best,
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Jeff, thanks for buying from us =) and glad you like the light.

It is quite well built compared to Pro 160 and Pro 126. It claims to be 65 degree spread and 800 lux... but from my bare eye comparison, it's not bighter than Pro 160 nor Comer 900.

I don't notice any humming sound but the light will flicker when I dial the dimmer. That will make a bad impression when adjusting the dimmer in front of the customers.
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #72
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
First nice thing, they are a perfect match to some low end lightweight light stands I bought last year, and the accompanying swivel works great.
Hi Chris,

Are you stacking your z96s side by side and mounting on a light stand?

I plan on getting at least one more of these, but wonder if I need an adapter to mount them, like this one:
Accessory Shoe Extension Bar | L.A. Color Shop

or this one:

Accessory Bar with Two Shoes | L.A. Color Shop
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Jeff, thanks for buying from us =) and glad you like the light.

It is quite well built compared to Pro 160 and Pro 126. It claims to be 65 degree spread and 800 lux... but from my bare eye comparison, it's not bighter than Pro 160 nor Comer 900.

I don't notice any humming sound but the light will flicker when I dial the dimmer. That will make a bad impression when adjusting the dimmer in front of the customers.
You're welcome Taky!

I don't notice the hum as well; but you're right the flickering might be a problem.

Hope to buy another battery from you soon,
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Hi, the bracket with 2 shoes is out of stock.. and I don't know when I will have them back. I imported them from Hong Kong before.

I'm also stocking up the NP-F570 battery. Usually nobody wants that battery because it always come with their camera that power the camera for less than 30 minutes only. but it will power the light for an hour I think. Will be good for me to use the light on my camera on steadicam.
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #75
Major Player

My test showed it would last two hours on full brightness.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management