96 led light - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #91
Inner Circle

I bought two of the 96 light units. I used them for first time in a blue screen situation, that was less than ideal, of an entry in the Canon "Beyond the Still". In all the interior shots, I used the two lights to light the actors. The blue screens were lit with common household daylight flo bulbs. I had a some issue with keying, and would have preferred green screen, but I used what we had.

Here is link to film as posted at Vimeo.

Chapter7: Reunion - The Story Beyond The Still on Vimeo
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #92
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wheeler View Post
If you're working under the misapprehension that a LED is a LED is a LED then you'd be right. Why bother? But LED functionality is all over the map and perhaps (I most certainly do not know) the LEDs used in the 600up light are less powerful (individually) then the LEDs used in the 96up light.

For what it's worth.
Well, the 600 would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY worse than 6 96s for me to want to deal with all that additional hassle.

To each his own, but I try and not make things more complex than they need to be. I'm getting tired already of juggling batteries with two 96s.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #93
Major Player

My two Z96's arrived yesterday from Hong Kong, 11 days after I ordered them from Gadget.brando.com. I will be doing a shoot-out between the Sony HVL-20DW2, Litepanel Micro Pro & Z96 LED this weekend and post my results here. My first impressions of these lights are very good, judging from eye the Z96 is much brighter than the Sony HVL-20DW2. Value for money is incredible @ $67 you can afford to have six of them.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #94
Major Player

I was at DV EXPO in L.A. yesterday (Wed.) and a booth (I won't mention their name to protect the greedy) was selling this same $70.00 Z96 light for $200.00 as a "show special" instead of their "regular" $249.00 price.Yeah, right.
It's as though some retailers think that potential customers don't do any online research before buying a video product. Particularly one at 3+ times the price and calling it a "special". Silly me, I thought only pharmaceutical companies were allowed that kind of obscene markup. Makes me really appreciate the info in this forum.
End price gouging rant.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #95
Trustee

I know exactly who you're talking about.

However, this isn't anything new. As much of what many manufacturers are selling are simply re-branded copies of products form China, especially LED lighting. As much of the cutting edge LED technology is being developed and manufactured in China.
Old September 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #96
Inner Circle

We also imported this Z96 LED light to resell in the US. There're import duty taxed, and cost to provide domestic warranty and fast shipping. So my price is higher.. but it's not like $249 or $269 (that'll be really good profit =). This product is made popular by the internet community (DVinfo forum, cheesy cam...). Words spread around quick =)

If someone can wait for 2 to 3 weeks (without tracking number) or don't care about domestic warranty, eBay price is unbeatable.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM   #97
New Boot

Can someone recommend which ebay seller would be reliable to use? There's so many to choose from I want to make sure I go with someone who has a good reputation, communication, and sells a light that will be in good condition when I open it. I don't mind waiting so ebay route is okay.

Thanks in advance!
Gary San Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #98
Major Player

Gary I bought mine from Gadget.brando.com took 11 days to arrive. Shipped all the way to South Africa.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #99
Major Player

Hi Gary,

I didn't buy my Z96 from ebay, though I could've saved a few dollars. Instead, I bought mine (plus an extra battery and charger) from Taky, as I wanted an assurance/warranty it'd work:

HDV-Z96 LED Photo/Video Light Kit | L.A. Color Shop

Of course, I got it for a bit less, as he had an introductory price :)

But looks like you can't beat the price from Gadget.brando.com

Best,
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #100
Trustee

Gary,
I just bought two from the cheapest eBay vendor I could find. Mostly these seem to be sold by vendors with high sales volume. They don't want bad feedback to ruin their ratings and hence cashflow. On the other hand clearly their margins are low so don't expect stellar after sales service. Keep in mind as mentioned earlier in this thread you could easily have paid a 300% markup on these. You want good after sales service then you have to pay for it, in the markup. With such cheap items I prefer to take my chances. The probability of scoring a dud on low cost mass produced items is very low.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #101
Trustee

These must be very popular all of a sudden. I went to buy another six from the same vendor and he'd upped the price to nearly double despite the improvement in the AUD.
Not to worry, plenty more vendors out there, well for the moment.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #102
Trustee

Hola, u convicted me in buying this led light. I live in Eu, hoping to not spend too much money in customs fees......
Question: For interview like 3 point lighting, do you think i could achieve a good result with a couple of them?

thx
And post Video-examples please!
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rogers View Post
I too bought one of these little lights after reading everyone's thoughts on them. Mine arrived today via US Mail. First off, for $70 its not bad. I decided to run a few tests to see where it is color balance, color temperature and output wise. I used a Minolta IIIf color meter, Sekonic L558 and a B&S flicker meter (first version). Measurements were made in a darkened household room.

Out of the box at 1 meter, with 100asa and 1/60s exposure, the reading for output was F1.4.
Color temperature was 6950K, LB +38 and CC 18m. Basically meaning, too blue and too green.

I then cut a piece of Gamo 106 minus green gel and a piece of Rosco 3410 CTO. The results are below.

Gamo 106 only. Color temp 6410K, LB +26, CC 4m, output is now F1.0 + 8/10.

Gamo 106 and Rosco 3410. Color temp 5510K LB 0, CC 4m, output is now F1.0 + 5/10.

WIth both filters in place I have lost 1/2 stop of light, but my color balance is much improved.
Next I add the supplied 3200k filter.

Supplied 3200k filter and Gamo106. Color temp 3430, LB +21, CC 9m, output is F .7 + 4/10
Supplied 3200k filter, Gamo 106 and Rosco 3410. Color temp 3150k, LB -5, CC 9m, output is F .7 + 3/10.

Flicker at full power is 2-3%. At 1/2 power also 2-3%. At the dimmest setting flicker is 12-13%.

For $70 plus the additional gels its not a bad little light. The build quality is decent, you can power it from AA batteries, a Sony NP style battery or an external power source. I plan on buying several more.

David Rogers
Nashvegas
What is a Gamo 106? I'm guessing that it is a minus green filter maybe made by Gam Products but there is no reference to a Gamo 106 on their site (that I can find). If it is a minus green filter, do you know if it is 1/8 or 1/4, 1/2, etc?

Thanks.
Kelly Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #104
Regular Crew

96 led

Kelly if you go to the Gamo site, 106 is labeled "antique rose" or 1/2 minus green. This just happened to be what my local theatrical lighting shop had. I would imagine Lee or Roscoe would have something similar. Having a color temp meter just made it easier. I took a light and the meter to the shop and they just brought out several gels. I tried out with them until I found a close working gel pack.

David Rogers
David Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management