96 led light - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Reed, I just checked the spec for the z96. They only say it's 800lux but didn't mention the distance. Say like, Comer 900 is 900 lux at 1 meter distance. LP micro is about 260 lux at 1 meter. But this light only mention 800lux. so it's difficult to compare.

From their sample, the light is still more brighter in the center with dark corners. But it's not as bad as LP Micro. It has a 65 degree spread. Comer is 90 degree spread so it fills the 16:9 all evenly. Z96 is selling at $296. Price is okay. Comer 900 is now $249. The good thing also for the Z96 light is the dimmer. Comer 900 has only 2 level of brightness. Comer 1800 has a full dimmer.
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #32
New Boot

That $296 Z96 is ridiculous. No one should pay that when it is readily available for under $75.
Stockton Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #33
Major Player

Taky

I really can't complain too much as this light was ordered through a link I found online and it cost only $67 shipped. Took about 10 days from Hong Kong. For the price, not too bad! Certainly would not have been happy had I spend $290+!
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #34
Inner Circle

haha.. well at that price, I won't even sweat if I drop breaking it =)
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM   #35
New Boot

Turns out Brando had responded to my email. It was caught in my spam filter.

Just to set the record straight.
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:23 PM   #36
Major Player

Ordered one. Was contemplating buying a lite panel but at this price, can't go wrong :)
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #37
Major Player

Just bought a 600 and two 96s, am anxious to see how these things work.

If well I can see getting a slew of these 96s for different things.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Knoll View Post
This light looks identical to the Comer.

Gadget.brando.com

Interesting.
Yes, Rob, I thought it was interesting too. So I bought one. Cosmetically, it is identical to the Comer 1800. But turn it on and that's where the similarity ends. I don't know if I got a bad one or what, but the so-called dimmer control does nothing. If you tap the dimmer a couple times, the light gets a bit brighter or worse, flickers. And there is a difference in how the light is dispersed. The Comer is very even whereas the knockoff one throws light in a distinct circle, like a flashlight.

Needless to say, it's on its way back to Hong Kong.
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #39
New Boot

Sherri,

Wow. That sucks. Thanks for sharing with us; I was really contemplating getting one - the "specs" say it's slightly better than the Comer.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #40
Major Player

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of these 96 led light, but my only gripe is that it uses 5 batteries. My AA charger only charges 4 at a time. For those with the light, can you please tell me if it's wired in parallel or series, i.e. will it work with just 4 batteries. If so, does it have a major effect on brightness? Thanks.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #41
Inner Circle

I bought two of the 96's, and received them Monday.

First nice thing, they are a perfect match to some low end lightweight light stands I bought last year, and the accompanying swivel works great.

Second- the magnetic difuser panels, are great. Very powerful magnets. And they are stackable, though you really wouldn't want to stack diffusers, it would be great to have a set of barn doors that stacks on to those magnets.

I put one on a stand last evening, and set my Canon 5D at about 640 ISO, with my Nikon 50mm at 1.4 wide open, shut off all other lights, and walked into the frame about 6 feet away. Looked pretty impressive to me. in the brief viewing.

As I do mostly narrative stuff, I think the benefit of these lights will be to light tight areas, and to fill in night shots.

So far I have only used my Sony L batteries, but I am curious how long they will last on the 5 AA batteries.
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #42
Regular Crew

96 led

I too bought one of these little lights after reading everyone's thoughts on them. Mine arrived today via US Mail. First off, for $70 its not bad. I decided to run a few tests to see where it is color balance, color temperature and output wise. I used a Minolta IIIf color meter, Sekonic L558 and a B&S flicker meter (first version). Measurements were made in a darkened household room.

Out of the box at 1 meter, with 100asa and 1/60s exposure, the reading for output was F1.4.
Color temperature was 6950K, LB +38 and CC 18m. Basically meaning, too blue and too green.

I then cut a piece of Gamo 106 minus green gel and a piece of Rosco 3410 CTO. The results are below.

Gamo 106 only. Color temp 6410K, LB +26, CC 4m, output is now F1.0 + 8/10.

Gamo 106 and Rosco 3410. Color temp 5510K LB 0, CC 4m, output is now F1.0 + 5/10.

WIth both filters in place I have lost 1/2 stop of light, but my color balance is much improved.
Next I add the supplied 3200k filter.

Supplied 3200k filter and Gamo106. Color temp 3430, LB +21, CC 9m, output is F .7 + 4/10
Supplied 3200k filter, Gamo 106 and Rosco 3410. Color temp 3150k, LB -5, CC 9m, output is F .7 + 3/10.

Flicker at full power is 2-3%. At 1/2 power also 2-3%. At the dimmest setting flicker is 12-13%.

For $70 plus the additional gels its not a bad little light. The build quality is decent, you can power it from AA batteries, a Sony NP style battery or an external power source. I plan on buying several more.

David Rogers
Nashvegas
David Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Purely on impulse, I just sprung for one of these now. I figure for seventy bucks, I can't go too far wrong. I already have a Sima 36-LED light, and while it does OK, I think I paid too much for it. Plus it has no replaceable battery, only an internal, rechargeable Li-Ion unit, and the endurance isn't great, maybe 1.5 hours.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #44
Inner Circle

It looks like a decent light and I like the fact it is stackable. I have contacted my suppler and will be carrying this item in stock in a week. =)
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #45
Major Player

Hi Taky,

That's good news! Will you be charging $70 for them too?

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management