Opinions on this Lighting Set Up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1

Opinions on this Lighting Set Up

I'll be ordering my lighting within the next week and wanted to see what you all thought of the following two kits. I will be using them with an XL2 and M2 (the M2 to acheive DOF), and will be doing 95% of my work shooting interview / testimonial / talking head type of footage.

kit 1 - Dedolight Standard Traveler 4 Tungsten Light Kit - consists of: 1- DLH4, 2- DLHM4300U, 1- DLH1000S Fixtures (and the rest of the stuff that comes with that package, including a 16 x 32 softbox)

kit 2 - Kino Flo Diva-Lite 200 Fluorescent 2 Light Kit - consisting of 2 Diva-Lite fixtures, and all of the other add-on's / accessories.

I had looked heavily at a couple of kits by Arri, really liking this kit (and it seems that Arri lights have some very good reviews here):

Arri Softbank IV Tungsten 5 Light Kit - consists of: 2 Fresnel 150, 1 Fresnel 300, 1 Fresnel 650, 1 Arrilite 1000 Open Face Light

...but really like the low wattage power requirements of Dedolights and Kino Flo's. I looked at LitePanels, but it did not seem like they would have enough power to be a primary lighting source. I will probably aquire some LitePanels down the road at some point.

It seems like the Dedolight's will have quite a bit of versatility with being able to use them along with various projection attachments, filters and scrims.

Quite a bit of homework was done in this forum, mostly from reading older posts and with help from people who graciously replyed to my inquiries when asking how they acheived looks posted in some of there on-line movies.

Any opinions on this set up (good OR BAD) are welcome. Experienced advice from those of you who've been doing this for a while is the most valuable. Does this Dedolight / Kino Flo combo make good sense, or should I look at an Arri / Kino Flo combo, or some other alternatives?
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #2

Ended up with...

After a bunch of research I ended up with:

Dedolight Master 4 Light Hard Kit Case - consists of: 4- DLHM4300U Lights with On-Board Dimmers, Barndoors, Scrims, Glass and Gel Filters, DP1 Projection Attachment with Accessories, Clamp, Mounts, Light Stands, Extensions, Bulbs, Hard Kit Case - 600 total Watts (120V AC)

& a Lowel Rifa Softbox 44 with egg crate.

I'm very happy with the quality of these lights and think they are probably an overkill for my present needs, but will last a long, long time - hopefully longer than it will take for me to pay them off :)

I can't believe how clear, crisp and powerful the light that these tiny bulbs (about 2/3's the size of a AAA battery) project. And the dimmer feature is top notch.

If anyone has any questions on these dedolights, feel free to submit to this post and I'll be happy to answer them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management