DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Are these LED lights legit?

I am wondering about LED lights like this one:

In this same price range, for either LED or Fluorescent fixtures, does anyone have recommendations? I am looking for 3-4 lights with a total cost of 1000-1200 to light a small tv show set.
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Major Player

It's the same thing as what many other companies are selling, just with a rebranded image. They've received fair reviews, but for me, I wouldn't touch them. The Amazon price is quite a bit cheaper than what others are charging for the same thing, names being withheld.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm keen on picking up a few of these types /ebay if anyone has a good review on them, filming a small tv show later on in the year and would love to have multiple led panels at my disposal.
Matt Shefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Those lights look awesome for the price.

Has anyone tried them out?
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natan Pakman View Post
I am looking for 3-4 lights with a total cost of 1000-1200 to light a small tv show set...
Given your budget let's hope 'small' is a slight exaggeration.

Since you're not too forthcoming with what you're going to be doing I can only offer some really broad suggestions.

I'd start off with my usual PVC stand / clamp light suggestion (use PVC pipe and clamp lights from Home Depot/Wal-Mart) and about eight

bulbs. I'd build the PVC 'stand' close to the wall and across the ceiling, running copper through/around the PVC and placing strategic four gang outlets where you think they'll do the most good. Paint the whole thing black if you want to impress. You should be into it for about $250 at this point and throwing somewhere around 45,000+ lumens into the room. You can always add or subtract as needed.

Then I'd get a couple of LTM Pepper 100 Fresnel... using 200W bulbs... (about $420 for both w/bulbs) and a LTM Focal Spot (about $285 w/retainer ring). Gel them to 5500K to match the CFL and find a couple of M series gobos to throw interesting patterns. At this point you're in for about $1,000.

Finally, I'd get a selection of Chinese lanterns in various sizes and color that'll accept your CFL bulbs.

Eight 85 watt CFL and two 200 watt tungsten will be pulling about 10amps so you should be fine.

Luck.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Mark,

"Forthcoming." Nice one.

I am more than willing to explain the details of my shoot, but it's nothing too special: 2 subjects around a large wraparound desk with a couple monitors close by. I can't use hot lights for this location.

What CRI do the Alzo bulbs have?

What about the Coollights LED panels?

Also, could you send me a link to an example of a PVC Pipe and Clamp light from home depot?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Major Player

A couple of years ago while searching online I found a company that sold a kit that included two four bulb light fixtures with soft boxes and a total of eight of those 5500k large 85 watt CFL lights. The total kit was under $400. Better than anything I had found on ebay or anywhere else at the time.

I have only had occasion to use them a couple of times but they have worked fine and the light fixtures have two on/off switches so I can use one fixture full power for my key light and the other for the fill light. I have used one of those aluminum clamp lights with a 5500k CFL from Home Depot as a back light.

While traveling on a business trip I wanted to visit an elderly uncle and aunt and video their recollections of my father growing up. I had one of my Sony V1U cameras, wireless mics, tripod, and that was it. I bought three clamp lights at home depot. I had my Aunt and Uncle sitting beside each other in chairs in a small living room. I used a mixture of the 100 watt and 60 watt equivilent 5500k CFL bulbs for the key, fill, and backlight. I had the lights clamped on a door, curtain rod, and the back light on something I can't even remember. The results were amazing. Watching the footage when I got home I would have sworn it had been lit with a real lighting kit.

Last edited by D.J. Ammons; July 25th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
2 subjects around a large wraparound desk with a couple monitors close by. I can't use hot lights for this location.
Well, the little LTM are not all that hot and I love that focal spot but you know best.

Quote:
What CRI do the Alzo bulbs have?
No idea.

Quote:
What about the Coollights LED panels?
Solid.

Quote:
Also, could you send me a link to an example of a PVC Pipe and Clamp light from home depot?
I was looking for one on-line but I really don't have have the time to find a good example. It's really nothing more than a length of Sch80 PVC suspended below the ceiling. It can be held up there however your imagination dictates. IndyMogul has an example of PVC used for a green screen and you can use their example... just ditch the chroma key cloth.

Clamp lights are available Wal-Mart, Lowes, wherever. Just ask.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Trustee

Pulled the trigger last night on one of those ePhoto 1000 LED and one 500. Amazon ships next day, and I am looking at "real" lights within the next few weeks... Will let you know how these do.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wheeler View Post
.... IndyMogul has an example of PVC used for a green screen and you can use their example... just ditch the chroma key cloth.

Clamp lights are available Wal-Mart, Lowes, wherever. Just ask.
Also, take a look at this vid I made a while back for a stand alone light stand with clamp lighting.

Last edited by Bob Krieger; October 15th, 2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: oops... forgot the video!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Trustee

ePhoto 500 and 1000 (both from Amazon) arrived today. Initial impressions are that they are solidly built - body feels to be made of aluminum. Barndoors are solid (though they seem to get loose fast - phillips screws though, so it'll be an easy tighten job), but the reflectors inside are very thin and a little flimsy - we'll see how they hold up. A thick piece of foam was included as packing material between the barndoors and the LEDs, which is nice -- I can keep it for travel.

I bought the 500, but wasn't sure if I could use it as a key or not. Turns out it is plenty bright for a key in certain situations. The 1000 is certainly bright enough - probably not as strong as a diffused 1k fresnel but close. Both are *very* soft, and though I had planned to use the 500 as a back light, I think I need something with more edge. Furthermore, closing down the barn doors starts to create visible led "stripes" on the subject. I hope a little spun will take care of this, but we'll see.

Both lights have 4 switches to turn of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or all of the LEDs (plus a master switch). There was a light with a dimmer available, but I didn't see how one would need a dimmer with all these options. Turns out I was right, it is very versatile.

Haven't had the camera out yet, but the visible light is around 5600k. No noticable green spike, but again, haven't seen the images it's produced yet. We'll see how she does with a sheet of CTO on, as I shoot a lot indoors.

Updates as they come.
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mike, I am interested in how those work out, so keep up dialed in with some updates...

Bob, interesting stands. Not sure about their stability for lights, but like you stated at the end, for reflectors, flags, cookies, or other lightweight things that need to be held up they would be perfect.
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #13
New Boot

Would two of these 500 watt leds equal one cool light 4x55 watt portable flo?
Anthony Auci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zens View Post
Mike, I am interested in how those work out, so keep up dialed in with some updates...
Used these lights filter-less today for a simple shoot. No noticeable green spike (mixed them with diffused daylight), and everything looked good. They are *really* diffused... going to need 1/4 blue on a hard light for any noticeable backlight effect.

Have used them a few times now, and they get a lot of notice from passers-by. Moreso than the ordinary 1k fresnels do.

I had the opportunity to put the Kill-A-Watt on the 1000 light panel. 44 watts. The 500 is (predictably) 22.

More as I come up with it.
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #15
New Boot

Hello Mike,
I have a few questions about the 1000w version.
For a keylight...do you think diffusion in front is needed? Is it harsh for talent to sit in front of?
I have the Lite Panel 1x1 but it can barely make it as a hair light without getting close.
Mark Boardman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management