Cases for LCD lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Cases for LCD lights?

What are you guys using for cases for your larger LED panel lights? I just got a 600 LCD light which measures about 18 inches square and 3 inches deep. It doesn't fit well into my case designed for my halogen lights.

I plan to get another one and have a cowpoke of those 96 LEDs as well, so would love some kind of soft case (or hard if nothing soft would work) for these. Any suggestions? I've never actually looked for light cases, have always used the one that came with my last kit. So I'm not sure what's out there.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bryan McCullough; August 11th, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Brain fart - Had LCD instead of LED.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For LEDs, it's really vital to put them in proper cases if they are going to travel well. Proper flightcases are always a good investment. Good old fashioned lighting can be thrown around and apart from lamps, they're really tough. LEDs have plastic parts, fragile circuit boards and thousands of solder joints. I have some theatre style RGB ones that have been travelling naked, and I've got LEDs missing, blue and red one permanently on and some that flicker. All my fault. My newer ones are all in flightcases that cost more than the actual fitting - but I picked up a couple of plasma screen cases on ebay that hold quite a few.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #3
New Boot

LED Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
What are you guys using for cases for your larger LCD panel lights? I just got a 600 LCD light which measures about 18 inches square and 3 inches deep. It doesn't fit well into my case designed for my halogen lights.

I plan to get another one and have a cowpoke of those 96 LCDs as well, so would love some kind of soft case (or hard if nothing soft would work) for these. Any suggestions? I've never actually looked for light cases, have always used the one that came with my last kit. So I'm not sure what's out there.

Thanks!
Try a pizza delivery case. They are insulated and padded and people are always happy to see you until they discover you're carrying a light. Black works best. I bought a red one and it really sticks out.
Reg
Reg Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Major Player

LOL Reg.

I picked up this Pelican 1600 case from Fry's today. The measurements seemed good so I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out to work pretty perfectly.

FRYS.com*|*Pelican

I've got my 600 and two 96s in there and it's deep enough (there's a second foam layer under the top one) to where I can put a second 600 stacked on top of the one and two more 96s stacked, if I wanted to.

http://img.skitch.com/20100811-cwwc8...yum3pbbnhp.jpg

I'm almost surely going to get another 600 (once I use it for a month or so and see how it works) and this case should last me a good long while for them.

For $150 I'm pretty pleased.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/620869-REG/Litepanels_2LCC_2LSC_1x1_2_Lite.html
I bought this when I purchased my Litepanels 2x 1x1 kit.

It holds the 2 1x1's, frames, barndoors, filter kits, power supplies, tripods.

When the SOLA ENG becomes available, there is room for that also.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
New Boot

Bag for LED Lights

I just found these on Ebay. They might do the trick.

NEW Gator G-MIX-B 2020 Mixer Bag G MIX B 2020 GMIXB2020 - eBay (item 350261226625 end time Aug-31-10 01:01:42 PDT)
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM   #7
New Boot

Case for LED 600

I just received my Gator Mix Bag 1818 and it works like a charm. Holds light, acrylic filters, with room possibly for another light in the main compartment, and power supply, cables and dimmer in from pocket. It even has room for an Anton Bauer battery. Good padding and hand and shoulder straps makes it safe and portable. Much better than a pizza delivery case ;-)
Purchased on eBay. Cost me $43 plus shipping.
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bryan,

What kind of lights are those in that case? Where may I purchase them? It looks like a perfect fit to me.
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management