Where to get Flags in the UK / DIY Flags at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 20th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Where to get Flags in the UK / DIY Flags

Just spend some time on google trying to work out where in the UK I can get flags. I came across some on eBay flag reflec items - Get great deals on items on eBay UK!... but nowhere else. Are these any good. Preferably I want ones that will fold up to put in a Ianiro lilliput lighting bag.

The other option is to make my own flags (maybe out of cardboard painted black). The problem is how to I hold/position them. I thought that maybe I could get a thing like a bulldog clip with a light stand mount so I could fit it onto a lighting stand but cant find anything like that.

Regards,
Ben
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Prokit seem to have something called Road Rags made by Matthews.

Lighting Kits - Accessories - Prokit - Page 6 name asc
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Road Rags are the hound's testicles.

Easy to set up, fold away to nothing (if you take them out of the bag they come in) and take up no room in your kit bag.

Not cheap (cost about £300 !!!) but worth it as you'll find yourself using them a lot once you've got them.
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Road Rags look nice but am on a budget

Was looking for more of a budget option but thanks for pointing these out, look great.
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Edwards View Post
Was looking for more of a budget option but thanks for pointing these out, look great.
Budget options.... Foam-core w/foam-core fork or just attached to the arm of a c-stand.
A roll of Cine-foil or black-wrap.
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Major Player

sorry I thought mic flags at first.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Found Solution

Thanks everybody,

I ended up using a 'Calumet Telescopic Zipdisc Holder' (Calumet Telescopic Zipdisc Holder) I already had and used a Flag made of corrugated cardboard.

For a disc reflector holder it is a bit fiddly as it uses 2 bulldog clips but this makes it ideal for a flag holder.

It also can be used as a boom for a light stand as it has a light mounting on the end.

Very versatile bit of kit and only $35!

Ben
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Black foamcore is pretty priceless stuff - you can grab it with a grip head very easily and get it int all kinds of tight spots.

I just ordered a few wide, flat spring clamps that have 5/8" receivers and a 5/8" post on them - looks like they'll be dynamite for holding white or black cards. Bunches of them on eBay in the US and from asia.

I have several of the wire-frame canvas flags (and a couple 24 x 36 diffusors and nets, those are just amazing but hard to replicate DIY - the diffusors can really give you some killer control over softness) which pop into the smaller hole of a grip knuckle and are the "pro" solution. They're getting cheaper in the US with companies like American Grip and Canvas Grip selling them solo and in sets.

But black foamcore is hard to beat - it's stiff enough to extend without flopping, you can cut it to shape, fold it to stand up for a tabletop shot, cut a "spotlight" hole in it to light a face, etc. It's cheap and you can find it in huge sheets. I always have a pile around.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management