DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Case for Coollights 600 LED (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/489404-case-coollights-600-led.html)

Daniel Weber December 27th, 2010 02:47 PM

Case for Coollights 600 LED

I am thinking of getting a set of Cool LIghts 600 LED's to shoot interviews with and I was wondering what people are using to transport their lights. I fly a lot and need a case that I can put the lights into. Has anyone used the case below? It is designed for the Lite Panel 1x1's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/711817-REG/Porta_Brace_LP_LED4_LP_LED4_Carrying_Case_for.html

Daniel Weber

Harry Simpson December 27th, 2010 02:55 PM

Daniel

I've got the Cool Lights 600 and for traveling I'd have to get something like a hard shelled Pelican case. Mostly now I'm transporting the lights locally so the case that came with the lights suffices.

I've got a Pelican case for my camera and lens and am seriously considering getting one for the lights at some point too.

Looks like the case you linked to may not be protective enough but I don't know.

Harry

Richard Andrewski December 27th, 2010 06:02 PM

I think a lot of people definitely get the Pelican/Storm type cases as you can be sure with those. The specific case they get of course will depend upon how many units they want to put in there. That being said, I think the Portabrace should be good too as long as its as secure as the Portabrace Camcorder cases which are used for travel a lot. You can check with the manufacturer to see what they say about their travel-ability.

Daniel Weber December 27th, 2010 08:24 PM

Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to have the company actually selling the gear here on DVInfo!!

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber December 27th, 2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski (Post 1602304)
I think a lot of people definitely get the Pelican/Storm type cases as you can be sure with those. The specific case they get of course will depend upon how many units they want to put in there. That being said, I think the Portabrace should be good too as long as its as secure as the Portabrace Camcorder cases which are used for travel a lot. You can check with the manufacturer to see what they say about their travel-ability.

Richard,

will you be exhibiting at NAB?

Richard Andrewski December 27th, 2010 11:30 PM

Thanks for your comments and interest. We won't be going to NAB this year. I always prefer to spend the money on new product development and expansion of the company and we already can't keep things on the shelf so NAB hasn't really been necessary for us.

Daniel Weber December 28th, 2010 07:05 AM

Richard,

I was hoping to get a look at your product line at NAB. Since you are based in Vegas (last I knew you were), do you have a "storefront" where I can check out your products or is your business presence mostly online?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Daniel Weber

Richard Andrewski December 28th, 2010 08:09 AM

We're based in Reno and we don't have a storefront just a warehouse there. If you want to come you can make an appointment and you can probably see whatever your looking for at that time.

Simon Denny December 28th, 2010 02:15 PM

Hi Daniel,
I have two 600's and three 256's and I'm always flying with theses lights all over Australia and using them in some very harsh conditions from extreme heat, dust, salt spray etc...

I recommend a hard case for transportation and storage. I use the Pelican series cases. Depending on the shoot and what lights I need, I have two cases: 1610 and the 1510
The 1610 is larger and can fit all lights plus accessories. The 1510 is smaller and can take the 256's plus accessories.

Lou Caputo December 28th, 2010 06:23 PM

Daniel, if you're ever in the Tampa area, you're more than welcome to swing by my offices and check out my lights. I have two 600 spots, two 600 floods and a 256.

Daniel Weber December 30th, 2010 07:44 PM

Lou,

Thanks for the invite...

Daniel

John Nantz February 18th, 2011 08:59 PM

a Professional takes good care of ones tools (sorry for the duplicate post)

this deleted because it turned out to be a duplicate post

John Nantz February 18th, 2011 09:07 PM

a Professional takes good care of ones tools

Speaking of cases in general (but not for flying in particular)

This is a post coming from an amateur videographer, not a professional, but maybe a professional wanna-be?

Anyway, having spent time in the fields of construction and surveying, one thing I've learned is that if you take good care of your tools they will help take care of you - because:

- they will work when you need them to, and
- because a good appearance of one's tools is a reflection on the person using them.

With surveying instruments, it is critical that the theodolite be in absolutely perfect condition. This is the instrument one measures horizontal and vertical angles to a very exacting degree. Also, there is the level and distance measuring devices. Along with them are the tripods, battery packs, and numerous other pieces of gear and supplies.

The firm I worked for had a number of survey crews and they all had cases for the cases. All the sensitive instruments came with factory cases with foam innards to help protect the instrument from bumps, bangs, and jaring. We went so far as to make cases to protect the cases! Using plywood, we made cases to enclose the factory instrument cases, and lined the inside of the plywood cases with foam. [plywood may not be suitable for flying due to weight, but there are lighter materials and ready-made cases available] When the crews went out to the field, they opened the plywood cases up and out came pristine factory instrument cases, and then out of them came pristine instruments!

The same was true for tripods and survey rods. Everything had protective cases to prevent damage to the equipment. All the supplies, like flagging, monuments, etc., were in a large cabinet and each type of item had their own location so they wouldn't get mixed up and one could easily determine the supply level.

This same attention to detail with one's tools can be applied to crafts like carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and even ...... videographers!

If things look good and look well taken care of, one's clients will likely be more respectful.

Dan Brockett February 22nd, 2011 09:47 AM

Re: Case for Coollights 600 LED

I use a Storm Case that is the same size as the Pelican 1610. I can fit two LED 600s and one LED 256 with the barn doors, light stands, power supplies. I wrap the lights in bubble wrap or use some old soft towels to separate them and it has worked great, never a problem and I have flown all over the country with them in this setup.

Highly recommend a hard case and I highly recommend the Storm line. I have Pelicans and Storms and the Storms are cheaper than the Pelicans and I like the latches much better. Pelicans are good cases but the Storms are a better value in my mind.

Best,

Dan

Daniel Weber March 3rd, 2011 09:49 AM

Re: Case for Coollights 600 LED

Dan,

What stands do you use that can fit in the Storm/Pelican case?

Also, can you fit the CL softboxes in there?

Thanks,

Daniel Weber