Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Wrangler

need light stand suggestion

Hey Gents...
I need a bunch of light stands for medium sized lights... 1k, 2k fresnels. I'm currently using Manfrotto 004 stands, which are great, but don't think they make them any more. Does anyone know the current equivalent model to these?
Thanks
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Major Player

I just bought a bunch of stands in september and I am really happy with them.

When weight/size isnt an issue, i LOVE this stand:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/443233-REG/Matthews_387032_Digital_Triple_Riser_Sky_Hi.html $177 each.

Its really tall, has a great lazy leg and is beefy enough that for most small/medium lights I don't bother sandbagging unless its outside and windy. Its a big stand, but doesn't feel any bigger than i'd need or want for a 2k at 13'. Its heavy, but also heavy duty. They are my go-to stands for anything heavy, bulky or windy.

For when size/weight is an issue, these rock:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/636420-REG/Manfrotto_1004BAC_3_1004BAC_3_QSS_Air_Cushioned.html ($242 for 3 stands, not for just one.)

12' tall, reasonably sturdy, but also nicely light weight. The biggest feature is that when the legs fold in, they fold flat so the stand is close to flat. THEN, the flattened stands interlock with each other so you can click a bunch of them together. This lets you carry more stands than you'd normally ever dream of. Its a bit of weight, but i clicked all 8 of mine together and was able to carry them up some stairs with one hand, freeing the other one up for other gear. (You can hook up a shoulder strap to the connected units for even easier carrying, but I haven't done that.) Even if you don't need to manhandle a bunch of stands, the flat stands are compact for storage and even stand up on their own when closed. I wouldn't hesitate to put my 575hmi fresnel on them. I put my "cool lights 4 bulb deva" on them, but only with sandbags. The stands are quite sturdy. Nothing at all like the heavy-ass matthews, but still.

If i could do it again, i'd purchase both of these stands again. Only difference is i'd get 4 of the sky hi digital instead of 2. I'd still get 8 of the 1004s though. They are a really nice balance between weight, bulk, height and convenience.

Thats my 2c anyways. I have a bunch of chinese stands that were "bargains" that ended up complete wastes of money. The manfrottos don't feel like they will be... and the matthews is gonna outlast my will to live.

Cheers!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Major Player

The coollights stands look pretty sweet too.

I've already got a range on small and medium stands mostly from Manfrotto, but I'm considering the Coollights C-Stands for the heavy work.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Good ol' Avenger C-Stands will serve you well. They are heavy but you never have to worry about their ability to handle the load and they are rock stable.

I've got lighter stands but even with just the CoolLights 600 and softbox they start to bend when fully extended and I'm always got a little bit of worry about their stability.....
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I've got a couple matthews turtle base c-stands. There are things c-stands are great for, but I don't think I'd choose them for lights 99% of the time. When you need the tight space, they are amazing tools, but for general use, I feel the legs are just too narrow. If you are swinging something heavy duty then I always want a bigger footprint than a c-stand, or the c-stand with a bunch of sandbags, which kinda defeats any portability gain over something heavier.

My 2c, anyways.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
The coollights stands look pretty sweet too.

I've already got a range on small and medium stands mostly from Manfrotto, but I'm considering the Coollights C-Stands for the heavy work.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management