DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Rifa lightstand question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/491388-rifa-lightstand-question.html)

David Ruhland February 7th, 2011 07:01 PM

Rifa lightstand question

Im looking at adding a Riffa ex66 to my lighting kit. Would someone please be kind and advise if the light mounts on a standard light stand of if Rifa has a proprietary light stand mount. I have many light stands laying around the studio.

Thanks

Perrone Ford February 7th, 2011 07:35 PM

Standard baby fitting.

Ken Hull February 8th, 2011 01:31 AM

Don't forget the Rifa Balance Bar

David,
I have the Rifa 55EX. Lowel recommended getting their Rifa Balance Bar ($29) with any Rifa light bigger than the 44EX. So I got one, and am glad I did. Without it, the Rifa would be very front-heavy, and could cause the stand to tip over at the slightest touch. The Balance Bar shifts the Rifa's center of gravity back over the center of the stand. The Rifa (with or without Balance Bar) has standard 5/8 inch mounting, to fit standard light stands.
Ken

David Ruhland February 8th, 2011 06:21 AM

Rifa or Tota with Softbox

Thanks for that GREAT INFORMATION!

Since I first posted I have been contemplating using my Totas in a softbox. I can get two softboxes (photoflex litedome) and connectors for less then the price of 1 Rifa. I already have the Totas! Thoughts?

Dave Dodds February 8th, 2011 07:35 AM

If you already have the totas, then there's your answer. Totas fill out softboxes very nicely. And, when all is said and done and you break the light down, it's not a whole lot bigger than a collapsed Rifa. The only advantage the Rifa holds on to is the setup. Pops open like an umbrella, attach the front and done in about a minute. That said, building a standard box with a tota can be quick too if you've done it enough times.

Also, double check on the softboxes - I believe the LiteDomes are not rates for hot lights.

~~Dave

David Ruhland February 8th, 2011 07:54 AM

David you are correct...I had brain lock.. Its the Sileverdome NXT that is rated for hot lights. Get this I have 5 litedome softboxes that are less then 2 years old that I purchased for my strobes. Looks like its time to put them on ebay and replace them with the Silverdome NXT. That way I can use them for both Strobe and Hot lights.!

Thanks

Noah Yuan-Vogel February 8th, 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ruhland (Post 1615733)
Thanks for that GREAT INFORMATION!

Since I first posted I have been contemplating using my Totas in a softbox. I can get two softboxes (photoflex litedome) and connectors for less then the price of 1 Rifa. I already have the Totas! Thoughts?

I've even used totas quite a bit with cheap umbrella softboxes since they mount so easily and are so inexpensive on ebay (~$30). I find this to be a bit more versatile than rifa since a rifa can only be a softbox whereas a tota can be put in a softbox or used as a nook/cyc/broad light. Also the tota's wide beam really allows a large softbox face without much depth. Of course I am extremely careful with this as the softboxes are not that durable and not really intended for hot lights but i always carry backup umbrella softboxes. The umbrella softboxes where the tota bounces into white backing before going back through diffusion are very even, since the effect would be somewhat similar to that of a book light.

Perrone Ford February 8th, 2011 03:37 PM

It might be worth noting that the RIFA can be used as a fluorescent fixture (which is mostly how I use mine) and it is infinitely more comfortable for the talent and can be used on any household circuit without worry.