Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Light analysis+colormunki

Hi,
Since I just 'lost' my vintage, trusty Minolta color meter, one question just hit me:
Would it be possible to use a spectrophotometer (XRite Colormunki in my case) to measure a light source (fluos and leds)?
Nothing fancy, just color temp and green/magenta shift...

I gather the device itself is perfectly capable of dealing with that, but I get the feeling that it's finding the software that's gonna be the main problem here...

Any thoughts?
Mikael Couderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Light analysis+colormunki

I would wonder if the colormunki could get a proper reading considering the ambient light and intensity of a fixture vs. being 1mm away from the source like when its stuck on your monitor screen.
I remember an older post by Mark Wheeler that dealt with this idea but I cant find it right now, seems when I hit search it boots me out of the forums....hmmmm. Minolta just released a new colour meter this month as an update to its popular 200 meter but I'm guessing its about $1000.
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,
Couldn't find that post you're mentionning, even though I checked all of Mark's posts. Was it on the DVInfo fora?

STill very much interested in making this work, so if anyone wanna share their thought?
Mikael Couderc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #4
New Boot

I wouldn't bet very much on the x-rite colour munki approach unless you have plenty of time on your hands.... BUT if you do get it to work, it would be interesting if it can be packaged into something streamlined that could be onset... In the meantime, I second Chris's opinion on the Konica Minolta CL200A chroma meter-
CL-200A-Incident Color Meter-Introduction | KONICA MINOLTA
its a real beauty because it's able to measure LED's (and I assume Flo) accurately.. unfortunately the pricetag is around $3500-$4000.. Looking forward to if they make a Cine version.. See the notes on the CL200 Vs a "photographic colour meter" :) Otherwise getting out your Xrite card with a DSLR might be the go..

Warmly,

Tama
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A software like HCFR, which is rumored to be compatible very soon with the Colormunki, could be one potential solution...
I'll report back...
Mikael Couderc is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management