DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Unnamed Lighting units: advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/492981-unnamed-lighting-units-advice.html)

Dylan Pank March 11th, 2011 02:24 PM

Unnamed Lighting units: advice

Hello, my wife is trying to get her local adult education and is trying to get the purchasers to buy a Lowel DV lighting kit from a reputable British supplier, but the Purchase dept. want her to get these.

I've not heard anything about this supplier and can't find anything via google other than referring sites and ads, can find no info on the manufacturer of the units. I just wondered if anyone here knew anything about either.

Has anyone come across these units before? They look strange (based on what look like energy saver bulbs) and I don't know what to make of them.

Gary Nattrass March 11th, 2011 05:02 PM

Re: Unnamed Lighting units: advice

Smick trading are a hong kong chinese company and this looks like their UK way of selling direct to the UK, I have a couple of their lights and they are not very well made and cheap with plastic parts that easily break, the fluros are Ok for close up work but lack the throw of tungsten lights and can have some strange green colour tinges.

What do they need the lights for as these may look cost effective but may be a waste of money in the long run as they will not stand the test of time and use by several people, the bulbs can also be very fragile and cost a lot more to replace than tungsten lights.

Ian Dart March 11th, 2011 05:29 PM

hi dylan,
as a professional gaffa i am not a big fan of this type of flouro lighting.
they are cumbersome and fragile (up to seven globes ....i mean come on....).
they are cheaply made and do not have any throw or control.
i would go with a professional and name brand.... more expensive but they
would last you a lot longer than the cheap ones.
like everything...you get what you pay for.

cheers

Gary Nattrass March 12th, 2011 05:26 AM

For the money you would be better of buying this:Ianiro lighting Kit 800w + 650w + 300w + Case like Arri on eBay (end time 04-Apr-11 20:39:23 BST)

Ian Dart March 12th, 2011 06:05 AM

that ianiro kit looks like good value.
i have five of the 800 watt redheads, some of them are 20 years old
and still work like new.
i would be careful about about buying the cheap copies from the far east
there is a reason they are so cheap........

Brian Drysdale March 12th, 2011 07:03 AM

I wouldn't bet on the adult education being able to buy used, even though good condition used professional standard kit will often last longer than cheap new equipment, therefore cost less in the long run.

Gary Nattrass March 12th, 2011 08:32 AM

That Ianiro kit was even better value last month as the guy bought it for £150, I was watching it and wish I had bid now as he is just selling it on at double the price, its still good value at £300 though!

Dylan Pank April 24th, 2011 03:58 PM

Hi all, Thanks for all the replies, most appreciated.

They were very useful for the Missus in convincing the purse string holders to stump up for the Lowel kit.