Mixing light sources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Mixing light sources

I typically shoot with a lowel tungsten light kit. I have a shoot coming up where there are florecent lights in the celing that will not be able to be turned off during the shoot.In addition, there are some windows that I will not be able to cover. Will I have any issues with mixing the light sources if I manually white balance? The alternative is to rent a florecent kit. Thoughts?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mixing light sources

Controlling the ambient is going to be your biggest challenge. Even if you white balance on the subject, you can get some odd color casts from the surrounding sources. If you can flag the overhead lights and put a heavy blanket between the camera and the window (assuming the window is behind you. Then your tungsten kit should do the trick. How much of the background do you need to show? Can you gel the overheads? Can you use the window light to your advantage? Without seeing the room, there isn't much more I can offer. I would suggest walking in with a 'plan-a' and a 'plan-b'.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Take production stills and use them as a learning / teaching exercise.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Situations like this are not ideal and as said if you can control the ambient light that would be good, I also have a hybrid white balance setting on my camera of 4,300k if I need to do a quick set-up in mixed lighting.
Not ideal but at least it gives me a mid point if I need to grade any shots later.
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Oren. Unfourtuneatly geling the lights will not be an option nor is blocking the window. I may just rent a florecent light kit. Thanks for the input Gary.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Hey Kevin,

Even if you rent some Flo's they probably won't match the flourescents in the ceiling. Get some plus green gel for your tungsten lights and it should help to match to ambient from the overhead lights. Look at Rosco #3315 ro #3316.

As for the sunlight if it's from your back and it's even enough though out the space, when you white balance you it should be acceptable. I usually take a manual WB reading and then tweak it to taste.

Good luck,
Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management