DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Z96 LED Light and Sony batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/494282-z96-led-light-sony-batteries.html)

Bryan Worsley April 7th, 2011 10:07 PM

Z96 LED Light and Sony batteries

Upon purchasing (on-line) a TechPro Z96 LED light last week I was a bit dissappointed to find that the integral attachment plate for Sony L Series Li-ION batteries does not also accommodate M Series batteries. I have a number of Sony M batteries and charger from my old DCR-PC115 cam that I hoped I could use.

Other lights with a Sony battery option, like the Alzo 790, accommodate L, M and MH Series batteries on the same plate:

ALZO 790 Dimmable LED On Camera Video Light

Unfortunately, the configuration of the securing pins on the Z96 does not allow this.

Does anyone know whether an adapter plate exists for using M Series batteries on a camcorder, charger or other device that normally uses L Series batteries? My searches have so far proved fruitless.

Adapters do exist for powering devices, such as external monitors, from camcorder batteries via DC power input, which the Z96 does have, but this would be a rather cumbersome and expensive workaround.

An 'M to L' Series adapter plate would be the ideal.

Thanks.

Bob Grant April 8th, 2011 02:38 AM

Re: Z96 LED Light and Sony batteries

Bryan, a friend of mine bought a couple of those Z96 lights and emailed me to say he could pretty easily modify them to accept the M series batteries. I was a tad worried that maybe there was a reason why the socket wasn't universal but they do work just fine.
All you need to do is to cutaway a bit of the plastic "keys" in the socket so the M batteries will fit. Sorry I cannot be more specific but I think if you do what this guy did, just look carefully, you'll see what needs to be done.

Bryan Worsley April 8th, 2011 08:50 AM

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Yes, I know exactly what your friend means and I had thought about doing the same, but was worried that if I came to use L Series batteries in the future they would not fit securely. So it might be best to have a close look at how an L battery fits before taking out a file. My M Series batteries are what 8-9 years old now and who knows when they might give up the ghost.

I must say, its difficult to understand why the designers of the light didnt take this into account. The earlier TechPro Zellini 'On-Board' (24 bulb) light had no integral attachment plate but at least offered optional adapter plates for the different brands. Restricting the choice to Sony L batteries surely limits the appeal and had I known this I might have been more inclined to go for one of the YongNuo LED lights.

Of course I've tried AA batteries, but with Duracell 2450mAh NiMH rechargeables I'm getting just 25 mins on full power before permanent flicker sets in. Some people say that Eneloops are the best, but I'm a bit skeptical. Plus, after 20 mins or so on full power the batteries and compartment get mighty hot.

By all accounts external Li-ION batteries dont cause flicker and just run-on until they are drained. If I do recourse to buying some L Series batteries and charger (of course my M Series charger wont work with L Series batteries - good old Sony) can anyone recommend a good substitute brand. The Pearstone batteries supplied only through B&H (probably house brand) are highly praised but I'd prefer to use a local supplier here in Canada. Of course there are no end of generic 'no-name' replacements, but are they any good. This one at least seems to provide some guarantee of equivalency. Most of the generic NP-F550/570 replacements are only 2000mAh, not 2300mAh:

NP-F570 - Replacement camcorder battery for Sony NP-F570 online

What do you think? Otherwise, any Canadians out there that might recommend a reliable source?

Cheers.

Bryan Worsley April 8th, 2011 09:01 AM

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST. HOW DO I DELETE IT ???

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Yes, I know exactly what your friend means and I had thought about doing the same, but was worried that if I came to use L Series batteries in the future they would not fit securely. So it might be best to have a close look at how an L battery fits before taking out a file. My M Series batteries are what 8-9 years old now and who knows when they might give up the ghost.

I must say, its difficult to understand why the designers of the light didnt take this into account. The earlier TechPro Zellini 'On-Board' (24 bulb light) had no integral attachment plate but at least offered optional adapter plates for the different brands. Restricting the choice to Sony L batteries surely limits the appeal and had I known this I might have been more inclined to go for one of the YongNuo LED lights.

Of course I've tried AA batteries, but with Duracell 2450mAh recharegables I'm getting just 25 mins on full power before permanent flicker sets in. Some people say that Eneloops are the best, but I'm a bit skeptical. Plus, after 20 mins or so on full power the batteries and compartment get mighty hot.

By all accounts external Li-ION batteries dont cause flicker and just run-on until they are drained. If I do recourse to buying some L Series batteries and charger (of course my M Series charger wont work with L Series batteries - good old Sony) can anyone recommend a good substitute brand. The Pearstone batteries supplied only through B&H (probably house brand) are highly praised but I'd prefer to use a local supplier here in Canada. Of course there are no end of generic 'no-name' replacements, but are they any good. This one at least seems to provide some guarantee of equivalency. Most of the generic NP-F570 replacements are only 2000mAh, not 2300mAh:

NP-F570 - Replacement camcorder battery for Sony NP-F570 online

What do you think? Otherwise, any Canadians out there that might recommend a reliable source?

Cheers.

Bob Grant April 8th, 2011 03:26 PM

My friend had no problem using both variants of the Sony batteries after his modification. Like you his M series ones were quite old but last I heard from him they were holding up OK.

The problem with using NiMH is 5 of those only supply a nominal 6V to the light whereas 5 alkalines supply a nominal 7.5V. Most likely the reason the light starts to flicker is the voltage is too low for it once there's a smallish drop in battery voltage. It does seem to me that designing the light to only use 5 AA sized batteries was a silly decision in some ways :(

The NP-F570 battery should be OK, just. I'd tend to go more for the NP-F750 sized battery which is still a reasonable weight but almost twice the capacity. Given the current drain from the light the F570 might be wasting a lot of its energy in heat.

Bryan Worsley April 8th, 2011 06:00 PM

Good advice. Thanks alot Bob.

I agree it's strange that they didnt provide for 6 AA's given that most people would use rechargeables.