Gels? NLE? or in-camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Gels? NLE? or in-camera?

I need a shot wherein the skin tones are pale bluish -- something like the ghost look from Japanese ghost movies. What are the pros and cons of using gels, NLE, or in camera settting to achieve such an effect? One variable is the subject will be against a green screen, I don't know if that creates potential problems should I use a blue gel. I guess it might if it starts washing out the greenscreen with blue spill. As far as post, it's a 24mb/sec AVCHD codec, not some heavy duty Avid bomb proof container.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Gels? NLE? or in-camera?

I think the biggest drawback of doing it while shooting is that if it doesn´t look right, you will have to re-shoot it again.

I have no experience here about your avchd or greenscreen dilemmas. Just using common sense.

Cheers!

Alex
Alex Pineyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Test shots are of great value. One idea is to light with tungsten, white balance for tungsten, then change the key or fill or both to daylight balanced lights. Another thought is to use makeup.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Experiment. Shoot some footage and play with it. It's not like it costs you anything except time.

White balance on a pink card and see what the end result looks like. Shoot normal and hack on the footage with the 3-way color corrector. You might (and probably WILL) discover a lot of useful information along the way.

Just my opinion. I see too many people looking for a canned solution when a half-hour's playing with 60 seconds of video footage would give them an answer.

Martin
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Brian
In your case, I would shoot a clean key first. That way, the screen will not be contaminated by any other color variable. CCing in the NLE will give you the flexibility to fine tune the subject element to your chosen BG image. An "off color" green screen can be tougher to key out, as you have indicated.

Hope this helps.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Plotin View Post
In your case, I would shoot a clean key first. That way, the screen will not be contaminated by any other color variable. CCing in the NLE will give you the flexibility to fine tune the subject element to your chosen BG image. An "off color" green screen can be tougher to key out, as you have indicated.
This seems like the best way to go, providing the most possible options.

Experimenting around is great, but it'd take a lot more than 30 minutes to test all this out. That's one reason we use these forums, to short circuit the trial and error process and access information more quickly.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management