DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Desisti "Rembrandt" 12K HMI

Those who remember history back might recall one of my less wise adventures, this HMI light which I did not understand at the time ( small matter of 12K versus 1.2K ). Whatever, I have the lamp.

After a good long time, I have finally started on it, going through looking for wear/tear and trouble. The Hobbs meter has 11,000 hours up on it. The reflector has some impact marks on it but it is otherwise good, so somewhere along the line, sombody has been suddenly amazed by something violent.

There are no longer any manuals or handbooks that I can find on the web. Older lamps like this have been built before computer records and .pdf files became part of the archiving process.

I have run into a little puzzle. There were things rolling and rattling as I moved the lamphouse but nothing loose inside. I found in the junction box on the side, a large wingnut and a thrust bearing. It looks like they have been there a long time. Luckily it seems nothing electrical has been touched by these loose metal pieces.

The wingnut does not seem to be missing from anywhere. It is not a fastener for the pigtails on the globe, It is a different size.

The thrust bearing? Goodness knows where that is from? The lamp carriage flood/spot movement appears to be intact and there is not any excessive play in the mechanism except for the cable itself which is adjustable.

If anyone has any exploded diagrams of this lamp or images of its entrails, any info would be appreciated. Details on the placard are :-

Desisti "Rembrandt" mod.2450
S.N. 0191.

Regards all.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Desisti "Rembrandt" 12K HMI

I have a point of contact with the president of DeSisti North America and I will forward your info off to him. He seems like a very decent fellow and I'm sure he can direct you better than anyone. You've actually just reminded me that I owe the community an update on my negative posting about DeSisti at The Colour of Light - Home based on this gentleman's professional response...my bad.
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Chris.

Thanks very much for your endeavours on my behalf. It is much appreciated.

I initially was not too impressed with the metal work of the case. I thought it was like something I could bend up with a pair of tin snips except for the pressed vent slots. However I found a channel frame underneath, a much stronger build method, resistant to knocks and bumps.

The deeper I mine in, the better I feel about exloring. There are a few things that need just that little tidy up like insecticide residues. Who ever did the spider kill in the US when the light was shipped didn't muck around or maybe it got another one out here too. I saw a bit of residue when it first arrived which I wiped out.

Having pulled it apart some more, I have found white dried fluid runs, some corrosion and a dead bitey in the junction box.

I also found the shields inside the top have sharp deep dents in them, possible evidence of a globe explosion along with the dents in the reflector,
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Trustee

Pictures please, a video of the first lamp startup would be good.
Hint from the now much wiser, do not look at the lamp as it starts up just to see what happens, I got the worst migraine of my life doing that with a 150W HMI lamp.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Bob.

I should have thought of a before and after sequence, however will video the event.

As for getting a flash, one of my jack-of-all-trades semi-skills is stick welding, so the reflex for avoiding eye injury is well established. Having seen the depth of those sharp dents from flying glass inside, the fresnel door will definitely be shut.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

After a long hiatus, I finally got some power into this thing and it lives, searingly bright. The moths have no hope.
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Here y'go Bob.

Here's a happysnap of the 1.2K that wasn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Desisti "Rembrandt" 12K HMI-lamp-01.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; November 25th, 2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: error
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Well here it is, doing what it is intended to do, images from a short conceptual test for an upcoming project.

The operator in front of the lamp is not me but Steve Rice, (Darling Films) who came along to assist.

Camera. SI2K. Lens. Nikon 85mm f1.4 at f1.8. motion image for end titles at close of teaser clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Desisti "Rembrandt" 12K HMI-only-poor-old-tom.jpg   Desisti "Rembrandt" 12K HMI-ricey-01.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 22nd, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: error
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

How are you powering the 12K? Any time we've used them it has always involved hiring a generator?
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Initially the scheme was to test the light on an industry lighting generator however the owner-operator wanted a guarantee for repair of his generator if the light blew it up. At Australian labour costs and given that his truck would have to be pulled apart, repairs and claims for lost work. On the math it could have been easily $8,000 at the kickoff and rising.

It was decided to buy in a $6,300 ( + customs, GST) 20K single phase generator from a US based vendor which ships worldwide. If the light did not perform satisfactorily, the generator could be onsold locally at little or no loss. It is bit more noisy than a double-blimped truck generator but some of the noise is from the panel trailer it is sitting on.

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Sounds like a bit of an investment just to test a light. I guess the possibility of selling the generator on off sets the risks,
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

That pretty much was the scheme. I was fairly confident that the ballast and the light would work after giving everything a clean, swabbing the insecticide residues out and metering everything that could be passively metered.

It is one of those situations where to get anything back you must put some more in. Some misgivings there but it's done. One of the proper lighting guys over here expressed interest in buying it if I wanted to sell after it was proven. I understand that most of the few other 12K - 18K HMI lights here have magnetic ballasts. After the current indie movie project is done and dusted, I may then onsell the whole package.

I think in fairness, I should mention a US based lighting tech by name of Gilbert Navarro whose outfit trades as Galaxy Lighting and Repair. He was very helpful despite the likelyhood of not making any profit from his advice to me. His website also has lots of useful information.

I hope Chris will afford me this one indulgence of mentioning a commercial entity who may not be a site sponsor.

Brian. Offtopic. If you were in the film industry on the mainland UK in the seventies-eighties, you might have run into Ricey who was then in set construction and worked on the the original Star Wars series, Hanover Street, Dark Crystal, the first Indiana Jones.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year to all and your own.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 24th, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: error
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:32 AM   #13
Inner Circle

A bit of a way to spend a Friday night. Lighting test shot on SI2K.

Old January 5th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #14
Trustee

Using a SI2K to test a 12K, that could lead to some confusion :)
That test does seem to show how useful such a light is. A big light source far away looks different to a smaller light source close up. Despite the seemingly huge number of lumens coming out of a 12K, outdoors they don't go that far.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Inner Circle

The light was about 300 metres back up the valley. Gavan was not sure how it would go as the lamphead is smaller than 12K lamps he is accustomed to from his 35mm film TVC and Singapore/Jakarta days. He is content it will do what will be wanted for a teens in the bush in jeopardy project.

With the big stand and the power needed and just three bodies to move stuff around and do the shots, it is not a redhead to bung here and there on impulse. One needs to plan and scheme.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 5th, 2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management