Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using light reflector in night.

Hello.

SInce i dont have any lights but the Led160 pro in my inventory i want to get a light reflector for day's video shoots and also for nights shoots.

I will be using it to dirrect the light from a Car highbeams(which will be the contralight on my act) on my act as key or fill light. Also reflecting other light sources as lamps etc, where needed.

And in day i will be using it to reflect sun, mostly.

I see a lot of cheep bargains on ebay for araund 40$ and thats araund the price i would like to spend on it.

I used the search option in this forum, but didnt find much about reflectors, those who i found were mostly not not shipind to Latvia.

So, in long lines is there something i should know regarding the reflectors taking in consideration that i will be using it to reflect car lights,(the normal ones, not the neon(RLY blue ones))

Ebay recomendations would be great.

Right now i am looking into this 5 IN 1 110CM STUDIO CIRCULAR PHOTO LIGHT REFLECTOR UK | eBay UK as the reflector.

And this as it'sstand - Reflector Holding Arm Kit with stand - digital or video | eBay UK

I' am on a tight budget, but if the quality difference is a lot better for other products and the price is not that much higher id be happy to pay more.
Gustavs Repse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Using light reflector in night.

I bought that 5 in 1 reflector and use it all the time. For the price it's the John-jammy,
Old May 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Big sheet of white poster board works great.

For shiny surface, crumple up large pieces of aluminum foil. Then flatten them out on a piece of foam core or poster board. Nice, shiny reflector.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I got to much of DIY already. Want something solid for once :) Bought the 5 in 1 reflector.

Will have to cut back on the stand, since its a bit expencive.
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Major Player

I was experimenting with a reflector like the ebay one you linked to, and I found while useful that it wasn't very stable; if I used the silvered side the normal light outdoor wind would cause a shimmering effect, sort of like you see from light coming from a swimming pool through the waves in the surface of the water. My reflector was bigger (40x60") so that might have been an issue, but if you're going to use this as your main light for serious video work, maybe try the foamcore and aluminum foil approach instead of the wireframe fabric ones, for the rigidity. But even the most rigid foamcore is going to blow around in even low wind, so you'll also need a rigid stand/clamping system.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The deffect you described might actualy become an effect.

Maybe it will give my scene more lively look since im using led160pro as my main light and car lights as contra.

But for more serious work, ofc it has to be stable.

And it's a problem with stands, i need to find some DIY way to hold them in place, for now.
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I bought the set that Digital Juice offers. Its really nice and I've used them a TON.

I need to go back and get the smaller set. Right now I have the huge ones and they can be difficult to manage with only one set of hands.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management