How Do I Splice a (+/-) to a 3 Pin XLR //Phantom Power? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM   #1
New Boot

How Do I Splice a (+/-) to a 3 Pin XLR //Phantom Power?

Hello-
I recently purchased a IDX X-3 Lite http://www.idxtek.com/x3.htm Before I bought it, I was told that I would be able to cut the 2-pin end and splice it to a 3 pin xlr which I'm hoping I will be able to power w/ the on camera battery on my dvx100.

I was able to splice it to a cigarette plug whcih is powered by my battery belt- I'm desperately trying to lighten my equipment load- So doing away with the belt and using the phantom power on the camera to power the light would be killer.

What I need, if it's even possible is someone to breakdown how to make this work- When I cut the 2-pin end off of the light I found 2 cables (1 positive & 1 negative). I have a soldering gun, a 3 pin xlr plug ready to be fitted. I just want to make sure each pin is properly soldered to the right cable (positive/negative).

So if anyone has experience down his windy road of cables, soldering irons, xlrs, etc. Please share some of the light of your wisdom....

Many Thanks-
MV
NY3
Michael Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #2
New Boot

Ummm...I could be wrong but doesn't the X3 require 12V (or 10-17V DC)?
Audio phantom power is +48V. Not to mention you'd be losing a channel of audio...
I'm no expert but I doubt it will work.

Brian
Sam Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Not to mention that it draws 11 watts of power. Phantom-powered mics only draw a few milliamps of current.
Maybe they thought you meant a 4-pin power XLR that would be connected to a belt-pack or other heavy-duty supply.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for all you help guys- Luckily no cameras or people were harmed during this experiment...
Michael Vargas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management