Please Help! Lighting Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please Help! Lighting Question

I am looking to get a very simple 3 point lighting kit. I have an opportunity to purchase 3 par 64 LED lights used in theatrical lighting, the controller, cables, and stands for about a third of what a kit would cost from flolight. Are there any problems/issues with using theatrical lighting for video? Pros/cons of this set up?

I have a very limited budget(<$1200). If you have a suggestion, please let me know

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Please Help! Lighting Question

I don't know anyone in professional video lighting who uses PAR cans.

They're designed for DJ work where tossing lumens in a general direction to wash walls and dance floors is the primary goal.

In video lighting, the design goals are generally precision control of light and shadows so that you can control what the viewer concentrates on in a given scene.

LED arrays are comparitively poor tools this type of light control since their beam spread is fixed at the individual LED level and typical light control tools such as barn doors and flags do not function with them very well.

Also, inexpensive LEDs have pretty poor color rendering characteristics - which can be a major hassle in mixed light situations.

Hope this helps.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Please Help! Lighting Question

The only think that I would use PAR cans for in video is for background effect lighting, and with the price point you have stated, there are LOTS of options. Lowel makes a great basic 3-point kit that's in that range.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management