DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos

Hello,

I happen to have a Litepanel spot and flood and an ePhoto 1200 BiColor LED in my studio today so I shot some tests. The stills were taken with my 5D MKII, shutter 1/50, f/2.8, ISO160. I did two sets of tests. 1 had all three lights at 5600 lights at full power (in the case of the ephoto light it was full power for that color, meaning half of the 1200 bulbs were lit). For this test the color temp on the 5D was set to the daylight preset. The 2nd test had all three lights set to tungsten-for the litepanels I had the full CTO in the filter slot and the ephoto light had the color dialed to tungsten and had the other half of the 1200 bulbs lit.

Results...I'll let you decide. According to ePhotos description the bulbs in the 1200 are spot. To me they look somewhere in between.

JC
Attached Thumbnails
Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos-litepanel-spot-56k.jpg   Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos-litepanel-flood-5600.jpg  

Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos-ephoto-5600.jpg   Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos-litepanel-spot-32.jpg  

Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos-litepanel-flood-3200.jpg   Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos-ephoto-3200.jpg  

John Carrithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Litepanel VS ePhoto test photos

I see that mousing over the photos shows the filename which identifies which is which.

Thanks for providing this very useful comparison. It confirms my impression that ephotoinc makes lights about as good as litepanels for much less money.

Like most LED footage, these strike me as just a bit sickly in color. The ephoto ones a bit green while the litepanels a bit magenta. But overall very usable so long as you don't obsess on fidelity.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Wrangler

John, what white balance / color temp settings did you use on the camera? Just curious since Auto WB might give different results than a fixed color temp.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I had the color temp set to the daylight preset on the 1st set and tungsten on the second. I never use atw unless I'm in a very odd color temp I can't figure out by dialing it in.

Regarding the green, I realized after posting that there was a protective film over the barn doors and body of the ephoto light the I didn't take off yet. This film had a green tint. Sorry, they were fresh out of the box.

JC
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the pics. The best test I find to see the quality of LEDs is with skin tones, likewise when you compare a tungsten bulb with LED light it's amazing to see how much more quality tungsten light has over LED's when comparing skin tones.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Lately I've been using a Diva400 with the flozier as a key for people. Depending on the environment I've used either daylight or tungsten bulbs. I've been trying out the LED lights as a return or to bring up backgrounds. What tungsten lights are you using?
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Major Player

I've currently got the Arri 750 Plus lights, I use LED's all the time because I can battery power them but a friend & I did a test comparing tungsten to LED the other day and just by looking at the quality of the color in skin tones I was amazing how lacking LEDs really are.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I actually like the ePhoto better than the Light panels based on these pictures. It looks to have a nice beam spread and be a little bit brighter. It also looks a lot more even. Also, the Light Panels look very minus green, although that can easily be fixed in camera or in post.
David Aronson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management