Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Arri spares in the UK

Hi,

My Arri redhead needs a couple of spares to keep it going. I need a screw and the tightening knob.

Can anyone recommend a UK stockist? I've had a good search but can't find spares in the UK.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Arri spares in the UK

Try here:

ARRI LIGHTING
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Brian,

Thank you - they look perfect for my needs.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Thomson View Post
Hi,

My Arri redhead needs a couple of spares to keep it going. I need a screw and the tightening knob.

Can anyone recommend a UK stockist? I've had a good search but can't find spares in the UK.

Cheers,

Paul
Not to be a stick about it, but most traditionalists hesitate to use "redhead" to indicate generic 1kw open faced lights. The original "redheads" were a specific type of open-faced light made by Ianiro and often built into kits by Strand. They were very compact and came in 600 and 650 watt versions. The Mole-Richardson version popular at about the same time are commonly known as Mickey-Moles - or simply Mickeys.

Lighting terms, particularly slang, are often used to loosely describe classes of lights - but if you succumb to that temptation to toss out "REDHEAD" generically don't be surprised if you find yourself getting anything from a 650watts to 1000 watts. (A fact made even MORE imprecise since you can easily uplamp and downlamp these fixtures.)

So unless you're just trying to goof with the interns, sending them for a "redhead" when the actual instrument you need them to retrieve is, in fact, BLUE, may end up being a short path to wasted time and effort. Or not. YMMV.

Just sayin...
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #5
Trustee

All my redheads are black or yellow but I think in the UK it is know as a generic term for the 800w design of light that we all know and love/hate!
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ironic in that the early Arri Ads used the term "Redhead" in a negative sense, as being old, against the original Ianiro lights. These originals do have some design flaws, the main one being the stirrup attachment is too far back on the light head, so the light tends to tilt forward, something repeated by many of the copies.. However, it has really lasted the test of time.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management