DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Cowboy studio

Just wonder if anybody has used things from Cowboy Studio and what you think about the gear from them for video purposes.
Cowboy Studio
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Cowboy studio

I've actually walked into their building in Allen, TX a couple of times to pick up some small items for my 5DMk2 (couple of remote cable releases and some clips). They have a show room with some of their merchandise set up (lights, stands, etc). They seem to be reputable, and their gear is serviceable. Their light stands are of "acceptable" quality as far as build and durability. Can't speak for their lights, as I have my own and didn't look too closely at their offerings. I didn't see anything that would make me stay away from their products. They're not hi-end, but they're not junk, either. If they had an item I needed, they'd get my money.

Martin
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Avoid them at all cost! I've gotten 2 lights from them on two separate occasions and sent them both back. One of them was fine for the first 2 times then the softbox ripped. Then, the lightstand broke. These were the 5 light 1000 Watt Fluorescents

I recently got the 1600 Watt redhead softbox kit. On the first use, the dimmer got really hot and the lights started to smoke. On the second use, the softbox actually caught fire. I sent them both back and got full refunds for both.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have made two purchases from them. One was an Light Stand and the other item was Photo Boom Light Box kit. Both items had to be returned. The Light Stand was a little on the light weight side and felt flimsy. When I mounted a set of 6 - Z96 LED lights on top of it, the telescoping pole started slipping, not matter how much I tightened it.

The Photo Boom Light Box kit had the same problem plus the softbox ripped.

I you want the products that Cowboy Studio is selling, just check eBay. It is the same stuff the China merchants are selling.

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management