CN-600 LED lights - anyone using these? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: CN-600 LED lights - anyone using these?

Looking forward to your tests! It would be very cool to have a compact light with a wide area of coverage. I'll have to check if your supplier ships to the U.S. I haven't seen these particular lights anywhere else.
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Jonathan

Just bought one of them a few minutes ago!! I'll report back on the performance..it will either be great or hopeless..if it's the latter then it simply goes back on ebay!!!

My reasoning was that my powerLED on cam light is a lot better than the multis so hopefully the same will apply....I'll run some tests and let you guys know my honest opinion!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Chris-
FYI, the closest thing I could find to this light is this one from China:
3w 36pcs LEDs LED studio light GL-LED36*3WA products, buy 3w 36pcs LEDs LED studio light GL-LED36*3WA products from alibaba.com
They also make a 36x3w product!
studio lighting equipment led GL-LED36*3WA - Detailed info for studio lighting equipment led GL-LED36*3WA,studio lighting equipment led,studio lighting equipment led GL-LED36*3WA,GL-LED36*3WA on Alibaba.com

If the one you buy looks good, maybe I'll look into the possibility of buying a sample from the Chinese supplier directly...although it's not clear to me that they're using powerLEDs. Can you tell?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #19
Inner Circle

OK
This is pretty much the same light that has 21 x3W chips in it.

3w 21pcs video studio light LED GL-LED21*3WA - Detailed info for 3w 21pcs video studio light LED GL-LED21*3WA,video studio light LED,3w 21pcs video studio light LED GL-LED21*3WA,GL-LED21*3WA on Alibaba.com

Standard LED's would always be in the Milliwatt category ...anything over 1W is a Power LED really!! The second link you posted has a huge variety of lights going right up to stuff that would light up a big venue!!!
Most China manufacturers would have a minimum quantity but surely someone on eBay is selling these???

Although I got my via eBay, my local guy does have a website so just go to Camera Bags, Camera Backpacks, Video Tripods, Battery Chargers and see if they will ship internationally???? (Not exactly local as he is 4000kms away on our East Coast but I cannot see any reason why it couldn't be shipped)

Chris
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #20
Major Player

The 500 LED light sold by Protog is the same as a model sold by IKAN here in the States. I've used that one on several shoots, and it doesn't have the throw distance or coverage of the CN 600 unit that I started this thread with. At US $300 it's also less expensive.

One other thing I like about the CN 600 is the slot behind the barn doors for gels - the diffusor is made of stiff plastic and actually protects the LEDs from the barn doors when closed.

Good discussion, all - I was just hoping to hear from others with this particular light.
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Sam

I saw the 500 led light that ProTog sells and yes, it's $299 here and if you compare it's output to other various LED panels including the 600 it is pretty low...that's why I'm trying out the one with power LED's .... I think most of these originate from China anyway... you can actually get a 700 LED for the same price and they even go right up to 3000!!! The 600 I looked at for the same sort of budget pushes out around 6000 lumens measured at 61cms (I guess the lumen meter is about 2' away???) and the 21x3W powerled unit is about 2500 higher....!!

I work in very cramped wedding receptions and getting a softbox high enough is always an issue!! That's why I wanted a really compact unit!!

As already mentions if the throw isn't good enough I'll toss it back on eBay!!! It just looked more convenient than a panel but I could very well go back to using a panel if I have to!!

Chris
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #22
Regular Crew

FYI, I just heard back from ProTog and they'll special order 110V units for the U.S. Shipping is $55. So it's doable. Looking forward to your experience with them, Chris!
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Jonathan

Still waiting at present for "so called" Express delivery...our local postal service is REALLY poor and often I can get stuff here from Chinaor Hong Kong quicker than within the country!!!

Whoops, I forgot that you guys are 110V however most switching adaptors nowdays are rated for both 110 and 220/240 but if they need to special order they can just get the supplier to ship direct to you.

I'll definately let you know my comments overall on whether they are a good or bad buy!!!

BTW: The local IKAN website doesn't show the PowerLED units but it does show the 500 and 600 panels

Chris
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Jonathan

My light arrived today and it's very well built and nice and compact..the actual fascia looks different to their pic as the barn doors cover a lot...the actual light itself if you remove the doors and retaining ring is 7" x7" with a shiny mirror finish and then 21 x 3W Power LEDS mounted flush in the face..Now you don't need gels with this light as it's already corrected to 5300K (each LED assembly has a filter inside) so for me that's an advantage for a start, not having to carry around gels!!!

The other thing that I DO like is the head is powered by a mains to 12V adaptor and connects to a flylead off the light with an XLR 4 pin connector (male/female) ... Because they have kept the input at 12v it makes it very easy to hook up a 12v lithium pack also with a female 4 pin XLR plug and you can also run on battery WITHOUT the huge cost of Sony V-Lock batteries like the other lights have. It will need a tiny bit of "DIY" to change the battery pack plug on one end to a 4 pin XLR!! (no big deal)

I have just bought a 12 v CCTV battery pack (12v lithium Ion and charger) It's a 9800mah pack so in theory it would run the light for 2 hours. It cost me $40.00 on eBay from Hong Kong. A similar V-Lock battery (not even from Sony but a generic) is over $300 and it's a lower capacity!!!

I did have the choice of buying 2 x 520 LED panels from China for $500 which was only $100 more than this light BUT it means I have to use gels and also lug around and run extension cables too for two lights!!

In my office I pointed the camera at a picture on the wall with just the room light ( a 23w CFL) and at around 10' away the iris was full open and the gain sat at 18db !!! With the light turned on the gain disappeared and the iris closed down to F4!!! and my zebras (set at 90%) showed overexposure on a good 50% of the LCD!! I think it will be a very useful light with some nice advantages over the 500 or 600 LED panels that use the 3mm or 5mm leds!!!

Hope this helps you...I'll add more after my next wedding where it will be field tested (next weekend)

Chris
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #25
Major Player

Chris, I am not sure what you mean when you say that you won't have to gel the light since it is 5300k. Aren't most of the LED video lights around 5500k daylight and you only gel them when you want to go down to 3200k for indoor lighting?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Chris-
That all sounds really promising! I'm also curious about gels. Are you seeing a green spike at all? I've been assuming that all LED lights need at least a minimal minus green filter...

I sure wish these were available in the U.S. directly. I think I'll scout around for a few days before placing an order with your Australian supplier.

Hope your wedding shoot goes well!
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Maybe I'm being confusing but the colour temp is probably closer to 5000K and subsequently I don't have to use a yellow gel at all as a wedding reception with mixed light (including the LED) is well within camera WB range and the colours seem accurate. The phosphor filter that is built-into the power LED modules might be different from smaller LED's but I did notice that my 160 led on-camera lights output a lot "bluer" light than the powerled on cam light.

These lights don't come with gels or filters which hasn't worried me as yet but yes, it is strange... I tried mixing it with incandesants last night and the cam colours were accurate on autoWB without any yellow filter and so far no green spike...I have had the green spike though on my CFL setup!! I thought is was more common with CFL's or flouros?????

We have a holiday weekend with Royalty over here in Perth so I'll really on get a chance to field test it next weekend!! I can give my more accurate comments then and if it does (or should) have a set of filters!!

Chris
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #28
New Boot

Hello guys,

I dislike the chinesse LED's but money talk....:) I try to raise my budget for a good video gear (GH3+20 1.7) and I search for best value for money in terms of LED's. My project reffer to talking heads interviews for my blog. For the begining I will buy just one LED. Second and third will be the window and the sun :)

Regarding the potential good chinese LED's, without green effect, can someone make a reccomendation between CN-600 and the Yongnuo YN600 ( http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...ht-review.html ) ?

Thank you,
Liviu Fratila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I just got one of these new on ebay for $178; the CN-600SA, newer model than the one originally discussed here. So far it seems great, better quality than I expected for a cheapo light.

Wondering about non-V battery options, anyone have suggestions? Since I already have Sony type NP-F batteries, I'm thinking about this adapter (dual NP-F to V): http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Batte...f=pd_sim_421_7

Also wondering about something like this, but don't know if it would work:
http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000m...44E/ref=sr_1_8

My light says 12v-15v input.
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Still wondering about battery options if anyone happens to have ideas (alternative to V-mount batteries). Also, I just posted a review of the CN-600SA light panels:

Review: CN-600SA LED Light | Pic Coach
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management