Putting together cheap light kit (under $600) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Putting together cheap light kit (under $600)

So I'm trying to put together an inexpensive light kit. Just looking for advice or suggestions. My main use is interviews. Most of my interviews are quick set up and I don't have time to flag or move things around too much. The 2nd use is just general, throwing some light in a room to just get it exposed better, narrative promos, real estate. I'm hoping to start off with this, then see how it performs and what expensive lighting I want next.

I'm pretty much looking at this combo:
(3) Red Head 800w (w/ softbox's): $270
300W Ring Light: $133
500 LED Panel: $210
-------TOTAL: $613

My thinking is the red heads should be fine for just throwing light when I need it. And then maybe using the LED and Ringlight as my normal-use interview lights. Probably the ring light when I'm run and gun. I go into the city alot to shoot business' so its nice to have lights that I can travel with nicely. Also it would be nice not to worry about wattage in business' offices.

I was also looking at these to substitute or throw in the mix:
As Arri 650W: $219
As Arri 300W: $180
(3) light CFL softbox: $200

Thanks. Using DSLR (T2i).
Travis Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Putting together cheap light kit (under $600)

there's a lot of naysayers out there, but for my money, if you just want to throw some light up go down to your local hardware store and pick up one or two 300 watt or 150 watt (depending on your needs) scoop lights. Twenty bucks a piece or less, and they really do work great for just getting a little more light over everything, or backlights and the such (though if you want to control them at all they're a pain in the ass...). Still, for twenty bucks, incredibly useful.
Alex Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management