DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1
New Boot

CL-455P vs CL-655P for lighting two person interview

I am current using a Panasonic AG-HMC150 and lighting one person interviews with two CL-MF0150 Cool Lights CDM 150 Fresnel with Cool Lights CL-SRB0650 Fresnel Softbox Kits but that is not enough light for two person interviews. I went with the Fresnel hoping I will need them for dramatic lighting for narratives, but so far I am only doing interviews.

I read about using two light for two people using the left light as the key for the person on the left and fill for person on the right and vise versa with the other light. I was think of going with Florescence to give me more light. I was thinking the 6 tube fixture would be more versatile for other scenes besides interviews.

Is it worth the extra $150 and 3.4 lbs. per light to get 1/3 more light using the CL-655P?

If you use either of these lights with the HMC150 let me know how you like them.

Thanks.
Tom Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: CL-455P vs CL-655P for lighting two person interview

I can't speak to the specific lights but remember light intensity is a factor of the inverse square law - as the distance from lights to subject doubles, the light intensity on the subject is one quarter as intense.

Gaining 1/3 intensity MAY be all you need but as lights need to generally be further away for 2 shots, you may not gain enough if you are at the upper limit of you camera's ability to expose with your current setup.

Hope this helps.

PS. The technique you refer to is called "cross keying" BTW.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management