DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Cheap LED Ring : Anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/503790-cheap-led-ring-anyone.html)

Jason McDonald December 22nd, 2011 04:50 AM

Cheap LED Ring : Anyone?

I'm looking to light for an interview style shot. This is not a paid gig, this is for me to start doing some video 'diaries' 'projects' for my students at their homes. I don't mind lugging some gear with me, but I'd really like to keep it minimal yet look professional (This is a way for me to learn lighting as well)

I've checked ebay, not sure what to go with. Anyone have a good cheap solution they've tried out? I don't have time for a DIY project.

Les Wilson December 22nd, 2011 06:24 AM

Re: Cheap LED Ring : Anyone?

Even thought lighting equipment is packaged into things called "Kits", it doesn't mean it's like a box of parts with instructions on how to put it together and get the same result. Kits are simply a collection of bits from a manufacturer that if you know how to do lighting, will be some of the basic bits you need.

There are many many threads here on DVinfo about this with opinions and experiences on how to get up to speed on lighting for interviews. Like everything else, it's a journey that teaches through both education and experimentation/experience.

Here's an article on one theory of lighting to get you started (bookmark the site as it will be handy on the journey):
BlueSky - Lighting examples- Chiaroscuro

Two bits of advice I will give you just starting out are:
1) use a softbox as one of your lights
2) understand color temperature and don't mix lights with different temperatures

How, where and why to place lights, flags, gobos, gels, reflectors etc is the journey.

Dylan Couper December 24th, 2011 06:38 PM

Don't get a ringlight, wrong tool for the job.

Instead, get any of the Flolights on this page. Pretty much foolproof production value for what you're trying to do.

Lighting - Studio Lighting - DVeStore

Jason McDonald December 25th, 2011 09:31 AM

I should probably mention I'm in Japan. Shipping would cost way too much. Lighting here costs way too much. A lot of stuff on ebay coming from China and Hong Kong is cheap. Like I said, it's to lug around from house to house a few times a month to get my students doing diaries for the camera so they can show all their family and friends they can speak English....but at the same time I get to practice some basic lighting..

Taky Cheung December 26th, 2011 11:55 PM

Check out the HDV-Z96 light. It's a great light at an affordable price. I have it for sale but you might get it cheaper through eBay shipped from China.

Jason McDonald December 28th, 2011 04:02 AM

Sent you a PM Taky Cheung

Taky Cheung December 28th, 2011 04:04 AM

Jason, I replied to your email earlier this evening. Did you receive it?

Jason McDonald December 28th, 2011 08:51 AM

yup,,,thanks!!

Dylan Couper December 30th, 2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1705924)
Check out the HDV-Z96 light. It's a great light at an affordable price. I have it for sale but you might get it cheaper through eBay shipped from China.

Jason, these are great lights if you are on a budget.