Buying a major light kit. Need recommendations. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 1st, 2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying a major light kit. Need recommendations.

Hey guys I am looking for a continuous light kit for shooting video of models and independent filmmaking. I have 2k to spend more if the money is worth it. I want at least a 3 point lighting with key, omni, tota. I also want stands that are very stable for film people traveling between the stands all the time. Also important for me is great dimming for small locations.

Any recommendations?
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would suggest you pick up a set of Arri's. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...hType=search"]
This is a very nice general purpose kit that I have. Arri's are really durable. I also have a set of Omni's from Lowell but I find those to be a lot more fragile.

You should also pick up a few (two or so) soft banks from JTL. I've found JTL to be a really good value. Well built and reasonably priced. http://www.jtlcorp.com/green/softboxes.html
Fresnel Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Personally I'd go with a combination of Arri Fresnels, and a Dedolight 150w w/Projector lens for lighting backgrounds (with the small metal gobos) to give the "dappled light effect" or even the "venetian blind" somewhat overused look. A couple of 300W Arris are a must as they are a great backlight or background light and easy to hang! Rather than getting an Arri 150 perhaps consider the Dedolight...if you have a use for the projector. I don't know your normal situation but keep in mind an Arri Fresnel kinda sucks in a softbox...great for everything else.
Keep in mind that once you use a Dedo with Projector, you'll probably use it every day. It just allows so much control (20:1 spot ratio!!!) and that little something special that makes your work stand out.
If I was travelling a lot I'd consider a Kino Flo Diva 400W universal or a Lowel Caselight (the Kino is fully dimmable tho)...as you can run 110-240 without changing bulbs or run daylight or tungsten. With the new Trumatch bulbs you get no green spike (stay away from Osram unless you plan to use a minusgreen gel).
Well, my 2cents anyways,

Brian Broz
Brian Broz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresnel Phan
I would suggest you pick up a set of Arri's. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...hType=search"]
This is a very nice general purpose kit that I have. Arri's are really durable. I also have a set of Omni's from Lowell but I find those to be a lot more fragile.

You should also pick up a few (two or so) soft banks from JTL. I've found JTL to be a really good value. Well built and reasonably priced. http://www.jtlcorp.com/green/softboxes.html

can I put an umbrella on one of thoes to make an omni light. and can I use them as tota and key professionally?
Kyle Fasanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Fasanella
can I put an umbrella on one of thoes to make an omni light. and can I use them as tota and key professionally?
I'm not too sure I understand your question. l I'm guessing what you mean by Omni would be a key light. And a Tota would be a broad light.

Some Arri's are Fresnel lights so they cast a more or less focusable and strong light. People usually use them as a key. With a reflector, you could use the same light as a key and fill, if that's what you're asking.

The open faced Arri's are broads that can light up a whole area. They would be the heavy duty equivalent of a Lowel Tota.

You can't mount an umbrella onto these Arri's (there may be some out there that you can, I don't know). I don't like umbrella's anyway. They cast an uneven light. I much prefer softboxes.
Fresnel Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm pretty sure his "Omni" is referring to Omnidirectional, which means fill, Tota-Lights are often used as back lights too, so that might be the one there.

Yeah, nothing can really beat a set of Arris if you've got the cash, but I think you might want to look at more getting a really good softbox, a smaller light for back lighting, and then one arri for the key. If you want to do the typical 3-point lighting, then having 4 arris may not help you, if you don't quite know what to do with all of them.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Other Options

This Altman kit is a good choice:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
As is this LTM Pepper kit, which I happen to own:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
I picked mine up 2nd hand, barely used, by careful shopping around and reserching sellers, but it saved me $900 bucks.

I'm not putting down Arri, but both Altman and LTM have been in this business for an awful long time and make fine sturdy products.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wills
I'm pretty sure his "Omni" is referring to Omnidirectional, which means fill, Tota-Lights are often used as back lights too, so that might be the one there.

Yeah, nothing can really beat a set of Arris if you've got the cash, but I think you might want to look at more getting a really good softbox, a smaller light for back lighting, and then one arri for the key. If you want to do the typical 3-point lighting, then having 4 arris may not help you, if you don't quite know what to do with all of them.
Hey,

Omni and Tota are the names of particular lights manufactured by Lowel.
Please see their web-site for more info. http://www.lowel.com/index.html

As a new to freelance shooter I only have a tiny light kit which consists of a Lowel Pro-Light for a backlight with barndoors and gel holder and a Lowel Rifa-lite 44 soft box for a key, cosmetic and diffusion gels, and two Home Depot dimmers.

It has been adequate for my purposes, (working on a doc about a musician) but I would definately suggest a background light and another Rifa-lite (or similiar soft box type instrument) for cross lighting if you have a large area to cover.

Always drooled over Arri's but can't afford them.

Hope this is of some help,

Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Major Player

If you're up for a bit of digging, you can find way cheaper alternatives.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=41

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management