question for Zylight Z90 owners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Major Player

question for Zylight Z90 owners

Have you ever found that noise from the Z90's heat sinks and fan is a problem when you shoot?

I've seen it described as everything from barely audible if you have your ear next to the light, to a deal killerf.

I don't live anywhere near a dealer, so I can't try it myself.

Thanks.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: question for Zylight Z90 owners

I have two Zylight Z90 that I've been using for over two years and didn't even know that there's a fan inside.
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

I am fairly sure there is no fan in a Z90.

What people have complained about is more of a high pitched tone that shifts when you dim the light. I haven't had issues with it myself in terms of it disrupting audio.
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Major Player

No Fan, no noise. There is a slight green shift that you have to dial out when you dim the light.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, all. Very reassuring info.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Here's another question: There are lots of small, universal soft boxes made for flash photography. This is an example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/62832-REG/Westcott_2200_Micro_Apollo_Softbox.html
Is there any reason something like this wouldn't work as a less expensive alternative to the Zylight/Chimera soft box?
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Major Player

The Z90 does generate some heat so I don't know how well a diffuser designed for flash will work with the heat of continuous light. If you have adequate insurance, try it.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you're looking to soften and spread the source a bit try some Tuff Spun. I use it on all kinds of lights including Lowell DPs as well as my AB Ultralite, a 100W Bescor (AC Powered) and my LP Micro.
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Don, what would you use to attach the Tough Spun to the light?
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Wrangler

There is a barndoor accessory available for the Z90, which is probably the best way to attach diffusion to the unit.

Gotta say though--tough spun is pretty darn old school, Don!! I haven't seen it on set for many, many years (granted it was the go-to when I first started lighting back in the 80's). The percentage of transmission vs the diffusion effect is really not very efficient compared to, say, 216. Given the tiny footprint of the Z90's emitters and it's fairly low output, I would be inclined to say that spreading the barndoors to an approximate 45 degree position and diffusing with 250 would give you as much transmission as possible with a decent sized source.

If transmission isn't an issue (with DP lights and today's sensitive cameras, probably not), tough spun isn't a bad choice--it's durable and silent in the wind.

It's just a nostalgic concept! Thinking back to the Smith-Victor lights that came in a cardboard travel box, and tough spun clipped to those collapsible Lowel gel frames in front of Totas and Omnis--remember the big Lowel softlights with the silver-coated reflector bags that you slid over the hinged frame? Haven't seen one of those in a very long time, wonder if anyone is still using them!

I actually used the original Lowel Lights (later called the K5, now the L-light) for a tricky setup in a living room that required ceiling mounted hard lights for a period look with quick rigging. We gaff-taped the plates to the ceiling and used halogen screw in bulbs. Worked great. It's in this week's "Key & Peele", I'll post a link if Comedy Central releases that sketch online.

Anyway--back to the Z90; just used that and the Zylight IS3 on a recent spoof of "The Bachelor". I had a set of RGB LED theatrical units to create the super-saturated splashes of color they like to use around the mansion on that show and the Zylights were great to augment those colors as needed--really easy to dial in to match the hues of the theatrical washes.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Philip,
Gaff tape is my friend!

Charles,
Yeah Old school is right..Especially when you've got 2 extra sheets of 24X24 sitting in the supply closet and you can't kill the stuff. Yeah, it isn't great for the small lights. Actually I've got some vellium material that I "borrowed" from my wifes craft closet that works really well as diffusion material and isn't as big a drop off in effective output as the tough spun.
I always say necessity is the mother of invention and we use what we got. Hell, once a long time ago, I used a coffee filter (unused) although I know a guy that used a used one and he loved the nice warm color the light threw. What can I tell you.

0|0
\--/
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

am still a fan of spun, i always carry a roll of light, medium and heavy in the van.
i still have hot lights in my kit so i find it invaluable.
although if i am using frames i go with half or full white diff.

for led's i would use quarter or half white diff, pegged or gaffed to the barn doors.

cheers
Ian Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Major Player

What about parchment paper? Not the historic kind, but the stuff used in baking. Definitely heat resistant.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #14
Wrangler

Ian, no reason you can't use the white diffusions right on barndoors--sounds like you are suggesting there is a heat issue that tough spun is better suited for?

re: parchment paper etc. The type of diffusion we are talking about is $6 for a 2x2 sheet--not exactly a bank-breaker, and you can use it on all types of lights.
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

hi charles,
my biggest incandescents are 2k blondies and if i have no room for frames
i use spun on them as white diff tends to turn a nice shade of "pharaoh sand"
spun is also handy for using on windows, easy to hang and is quiet if windy.
it is also handy if you need the light a little harder.

cheers mate,
Ian Dart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management