DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   neewer 160 led - preferred battery/ac supply? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/504884-neewer-160-led-preferred-battery-ac-supply.html)

Rob Katz January 30th, 2012 05:10 PM

neewer 160 led - preferred battery/ac supply?

neewer 160 led - preferred battery/ac supply?

i'm in need of a z96 type small battery powered led light to use as a small interview hair/back/side light.

i happened across the neewer 160:

anyone ever use the 160?

i know i can power with 4xAA but wondered if having a cheap sony style battery pays?

(i already have a sony np-f series charger from my sony fs100 kit)

also what do folks us to ac power this type of a unit?

thanks in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions

Chris Harding January 30th, 2012 05:22 PM

Re: neewer 160 led - preferred battery/ac supply?

Hi Rob

I found the AA cells a real pain to use and also keep in place. Both my spare lights (one is 126 and the other is 160 use Panasonic batteries from my old camera systems..they last for ages and are a lot more stable than a bunch of AA's .... You can also use the generic batteries and don't need to use 'genuine' brand names!! At weddings a 2500mah battery will last me almost all night!!! ... Battery chargers/ac adapters are not a good idea as their higher than normal voltage will probably damage the LED's unless you buy a proper power supply!! The batteries are easier!!

Chris

Rob Katz January 30th, 2012 07:54 PM

chris-

thanks for the tip about using ac.

a sony battery clone it is.

how do you like/use your 160?

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions

David Borukhov January 30th, 2012 09:36 PM

I am using 160 led, got 3 of them. they are very good, but have some kind of green tone :) . using them with ex1r all the time

Rob Katz January 31st, 2012 08:41 AM

david-

thanks for sharing.

it is my understanding that with these cheaper leds there will be green spikes.

i am imagining since magenta is opposite green on the color wheel, a magenta gel might ameliorate some of the offensive colorization.

see green = use magenta gel, is that right?

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions

Taky Cheung January 31st, 2012 11:54 AM

I would suggest only using AA batteries as last resort. A lot of people have reported the light will flicker at max brightness, or while dimming with AA batteries.

We have NP-F570 batteries that is only $18 and last for 2 hrs. NP-F770 batteries last for 4 hours.

NP-F570 / NP-F550 Sony Compatible Li-Ion Battery | L.A. Color Online
NP-F770 / NP-F750 Sony Compatible Li-Ion Battery | L.A. Color Online

Jim Jordan March 21st, 2013 10:11 AM

I found this thread through Google looking for the exact same options for the CN-160 light. I would agree on the flicker issue. I shot a series of memorial interviews using the CN-160 as a fill and the flickering is obvious in the finished edit. I was able to minimize it a bit but it's still there. I'm heading back to Amazon for another one of these lights and a couple of the Panasonic aftermarkets to power them.

These lights are now under $40 and aren't too bad, at least for my purposes. They won't stand up to run and gun shooting unless you baby them but the plastic shoe mounts are okay. They're also attached by small screws so I can't imagine it would be that difficult to replace them with something sturdier.