DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone have real info on these "chinos?"

1650W Flat Panel KIT Fluorescent Light Flo panel Flo light Video lighting FL655 - Video Lighting

Seem to be a few companies selling them. Not expecting the hardware to be of identical quality to kino and don't care. It's just for home use and I really only care about the light quality.

Does anyone have them or can give a difinitive answer as to the ballasts being used? Anyone measured the bulbs? I can't get a straight answer about these things from anyone because they just don't seem to know.

I'm torn between building my own on the cheap using home depot t8 fixtures and then gutting them and putting super HQ ballasts and buying kino tubes...

... vs buying these that would be higher quality than what I would make... IF the ballasts and bulbs are up to snuff. Heck, if the ballasts are good but the tubes aren't, at that price, I could still just buy kino tubes.

thx for any input
Greg Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone have real info on these "chinos?"

Actually, there seem to be two versions out there. Here's the other.

CowboyStudio Photography Lighting | Studio Equipment | Studio Accessories

Very hard to find info from informed users.

This one comes with Osram bulbs that say they're 5400K. At least they tell you something. Fancierstudio says essentially nothing about their bulbs.

The one here:
Ephoto 1650 Watt 6 Bank Photo Studio Video Light Lighting Kit by Ephoto

just says:

"55w 5500K perfect daylight Balanced tubes(made in Italy)"

I'm wondering if they use one ballast or three, and which ballasts are used. If one, how does the changing load alter things when some are switched off? Haven't gotten any real answers from any of these websites yet. They don't seem to know much about what they carry.

If more than one ballast, are they truly optimised for the task, and what is the ballast factor, flicker rate?

Also the two types appear to come with different bulbs.

Who has tested these? Am I good with them, or will I need to order something like a kino diva type bulb and drop it in?

Am I going to notice flicker with them? Are the ballasts prone to any other issue? If so, are they easily replaceable?
Greg Stout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management