Crazy idea? Giant light tent. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Crazy idea? Giant light tent.

Can't really find much discussion of people doing this, and thought it sounded like it could work, so I thought I'd ask.

The light tents that people build for product shots tend to work very well. Everything is so perfectly evenly lit that you wonder how the lousy object you just bought ever looked so good.

As I've been checking out all the options for lighting a large greenscreen, I've been starting to wonder if it might just be easier and cheaper to do something radical:

Create a giant light tent.

If one's goal is supremely even, soft, diffuse light everywhere, a perfect key, etc... they you'd want light as diffuse as possible, right? Well since the greenscreen has two stands already to hold it up, what about getting two more stands, and putting them so you now have one stand at each corner of the screen on the floor. Now just stretch white diffusion fabric across the frame, and you've created a light tent. A couple bars between them would let you do the same on top if you want.

So... is this a crazy idea or not? Seems to me at first glance that it would really even things out in the max possible way. It would be a very unrealistic light, but since that's what I'm going for anyway...

I understand you'd need some more wattage to make up for the screen... but in a sense, it's just replacing the diffusers on the front of softboxes anyway, right? Ok, so still more wattage, but not unworkable, right?

Thing I'm not sure of though is whether it would exacerbate the green spill. Would more green get bounced back after the light hits the greenscreen, then reflects off the tent's side?

Oddball thought, maybe, but possible also the answer to my particular needs.

Thoughts? Anybody know of anyone who's done something like this? I'm not just talking about stringing a bit of sheet here or there, but actually boxing the space in so it's max diffusion and the light bounces off all the white walls so you get that reflected from all the walls too... so REALLY diffused.

This idea wouldn't necessarily be ONLY for greenscreen. I just toss that bit out because I'm wondering if the green spill would be more of an issue in that case.
Greg Stout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management