LED fresnel lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1
New Boot

LED fresnel lights

ok LED panels are great but they can be limited - for example you can't put an umbrella on it or turn it into a spot light - or even use barn doors without getting gradation lines. so i have been working on creating some LED spot lights that you can put behind an umbrella or soft box, and can also use as an adjustable beam spot with barn doors. its light, small, can run on a battery, and emits almost no heat. the best part is, it puts out about as much light as a 1k tungsten.

i'll be shooting some side by side tests w it soon, but I'm interested to see if anyone would buy these if i started a production run?

i put up a sample pic of what it looks like so far at http://lumenice.com/
Daniel Behrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: LED fresnel lights

I may be interested in this for still photography as well. What is the price point?
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Behrman View Post
its light, small, can run on a battery, and emits almost no heat. the best part is, it puts out about as much light as a 1k tungsten.
and it's accurate color temperature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Behrman View Post
, but I'm interested to see if anyone would buy these if i started a production run?
of course people will buy them, but as always, if the price is right,
so, what's the target price point?
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This is a joke, isn't it? A cardboard box with no lens - or at least that's what it looks like. Even Arri with their really expensive 'replacement' for the old 1K admit their new LED isn't really the same brightness as a 1K.

If it's for real, and I'm mistaken, then there's a bit more to a good light source than a few LEDs and a lens.

How big Fresnel lens does it use, what range of beam spread?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Litepanels makes Sola 4 and Sola 6, which are fresnel LED spotlights. Cost of those units started $1300, and $2300, respectively.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Actually, Litepanels now makes even more Fresnels than that. They also have the Sola ENG which is a small 3" Fresnel. They also have tungsten balanced versions of the daylight balanced Sola 4 and Sola 6 that are called the Inca 4 and Inca 6.

I own the Sola ENG and the Sola 4 and couldn't do my lighting anymore without them. I am 100% LED now, and I MUST have some Fresnels to compliment the rest of my light kit. The Sola 4 was the last piece of the puzzle I was missing to go full LED.

How to Set up and Shoot Awesome Interviews with LED Lights
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Doug, I just watched your LED video last night (taking a break on a 10-day location/studio shoot).

Pretty darn interesting. I need to see how large the kit would be when I duplicate your setup. Lots of airline or shipping of gear for us.

Having tripped circuit breakers with the Lowell kit we use just a few weeks ago on a shoot earlier in the month, I'm interested in the LED option.

You do a good job of setting up and explaining the gear and techniques in your videos. I also just bought and watched your DVDs on the Canon XF300/305, though I'm using an XF100 and XF105. Just trying to pick up tips, which I did.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Vortex Media

Hi Tom, it's great to hear your comments and feedback on the DVDs! Once you go LED, you'll wonder how you ever got along without them. Thank you for your business.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Is the 1K equivalent coming out from the umbrella or is it a direct measurement from the led itself to the meter ? I have seen LED flashlights with narrow beams being measured well above 40,000 lumens when aimed directly at the meter, but when diffused bounced to an umbrella, them lumens dropped to a 40 watt halogen.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management