DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/507971-litepanels-bi-focus-shifts-green-magenta-while-focusing.html)

Graham King May 23rd, 2012 01:38 AM

Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked these up from eBay. Plugged them in and immediately noticed that the spot LEDs dip to magenta and the flood LEDs spike green. Do brand new perfectly functioning models do this?

I understand that LED are going to shift a little one way or another and I would be okay with it if the shift was consistent from spot to flood. But for it to change during focusing seems like a big problem, especially at this price point.

I realize I could go Kino and get better lumen/watt and CRI for the money but I wanted to go with the Litepanels so I can eventually add a battery system for ultimate portability easy setup.

What do y'all think?

Michael Morlan May 31st, 2012 07:46 AM

Re: Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing

I've noticed this with Litepanels and with the Ikan IB1500 panel I just reviewed. The daylight LED's have a mild, manageable green spike. The tungsten LED's have a horrible green spike.

See the horribleness here:

Testing the Ikan ID1500 & IB1500 LED Panels | Tall Tale Pictures . Blog

Best,

Michael

Paul R Johnson May 31st, 2012 11:33 AM

One of the hazards I guess of using two different performance LED types. I'm not surprised really LEDs change between batches, so colour changes between different types seems quiet expected.

Nino Giannotti June 1st, 2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham King (Post 1734605)
I just picked these up from eBay. Plugged them in and immediately noticed that the spot LEDs dip to magenta and the flood LEDs spike green. Do brand new perfectly functioning models do this?

I understand that LED are going to shift a little one way or another and I would be okay with it if the shift was consistent from spot to flood. But for it to change during focusing seems like a big problem, especially at this price point.

I realize I could go Kino and get better lumen/watt and CRI for the money but I wanted to go with the Litepanels so I can eventually add a battery system for ultimate portability easy setup.

What do y'all think?

I copied this post from B-Roll.net

Quote:

I've been using the LitePanels Sola ENG since last spring. I liked it so much I bought two, one for my road gear that travels and one for my gear at home. They've been wonderful until recently. My original light that travels has shifted purple. Not a purple hint, but PURPLE. I've pulled it out of service and replaced it with the "home" light and am planing on sending the "purple" unit back to LP to find out what the heck is going on(anomaly, damaged, manufacturer defect, etc.).
Evidently there's some problem with the Lite Panels