Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing

I just picked these up from eBay. Plugged them in and immediately noticed that the spot LEDs dip to magenta and the flood LEDs spike green. Do brand new perfectly functioning models do this?

I understand that LED are going to shift a little one way or another and I would be okay with it if the shift was consistent from spot to flood. But for it to change during focusing seems like a big problem, especially at this price point.

I realize I could go Kino and get better lumen/watt and CRI for the money but I wanted to go with the Litepanels so I can eventually add a battery system for ultimate portability easy setup.

What do y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing-lp-spot.jpg   Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing-lp-flood.jpg  

Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Litepanels bi-focus shifts green/magenta while focusing

I've noticed this with Litepanels and with the Ikan IB1500 panel I just reviewed. The daylight LED's have a mild, manageable green spike. The tungsten LED's have a horrible green spike.

See the horribleness here:

Testing the Ikan ID1500 & IB1500 LED Panels | Tall Tale Pictures . Blog

Best,

Michael
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

One of the hazards I guess of using two different performance LED types. I'm not surprised really LEDs change between batches, so colour changes between different types seems quiet expected.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham King View Post
I just picked these up from eBay. Plugged them in and immediately noticed that the spot LEDs dip to magenta and the flood LEDs spike green. Do brand new perfectly functioning models do this?

I understand that LED are going to shift a little one way or another and I would be okay with it if the shift was consistent from spot to flood. But for it to change during focusing seems like a big problem, especially at this price point.

I realize I could go Kino and get better lumen/watt and CRI for the money but I wanted to go with the Litepanels so I can eventually add a battery system for ultimate portability easy setup.

What do y'all think?
I copied this post from B-Roll.net

Quote:
I've been using the LitePanels Sola ENG since last spring. I liked it so much I bought two, one for my road gear that travels and one for my gear at home. They've been wonderful until recently. My original light that travels has shifted purple. Not a purple hint, but PURPLE. I've pulled it out of service and replaced it with the "home" light and am planing on sending the "purple" unit back to LP to find out what the heck is going on(anomaly, damaged, manufacturer defect, etc.).
Evidently there's some problem with the Lite Panels

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management