how good are lowel lights? - Page 3 at

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #31
Vortex Media
Re: how good are lowel lights?

Les, just so you know, neither the Omni or DP lights are Fresnels because they do not have a lens.

Lowel used to make a very nice 650w Fresnel called the Fren-L. I still have two of them and they are superior to their Arri counterpart in several ways that are important to me. I don't know why they stopped making them because it was the best light Lowel ever made.

To answer the original question of this thread, I own many Lowel lights (DP, Tota, Pro, Fren-L, etc.) and they are all a good deal for what they cost.
Vortex Media
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #32
Inner Circle
Re: how good are lowel lights?

Yes... my post was ambiguous ... I realize the DP and Omni are not fresnels. I was mentally going through my studio lights and I have a couple Kliegl Brothers fresnels with the lamp on the bottom and I'm not always careful about their orientation. Then the Mole, Colortran and Altman designs I am familiar with sprang to mind all of which don't stop you from flipping the fixture through the harp when wrestling with it at the top of a ladder and in a hurry.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management