DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: Help with lighting for interviews mostly

Bob, you have told us what lights you think you can NOT afford, but have you ever said what your overall budget is? It would be easier for other people to make suggestions if we knew what you are able to spend on the entire kit.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
New Boot

Hi Doug,

I"m afraid it may be an impossibility.

I tried to budget $500-600 for an initial light (not sure about a kit, but a light, stand and whatever accessories might go with that.

It's a bad position, because I need something, but I feel that I'm throwing my money away getting the EBAY crap and I can't afford the decent to good lights.

Everyone has been so nice, thanks very much, you all are appreciated.

Bob
Bob Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Have you considered renting a kit until you can get some more experience (and budget)? If you need to rent more than 5 or 6 times, then buying is probably the way to go. Knowing what gear will work for you will allow you to maximize your budget when the time comes to make the purchase. Barring that, is there a shooter near you who has lighting gear that you can hire as an assist? Not only do you get the benefit of gear, but someone to help setup/breakdown the lights.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #19
New Boot

Hi Oren,

I have not thought about renting, here's why.

I know next to nothing about lighting and as a hobbyist, my money is extremely on the short end. My luck is that I rent the items and God forbid break something and more worries.

If I rent something, even at $50 or $100, then in my eyes (maybe the wrong way of thinking) I lost $50 or $100 because for sure 100% I want to buy a light kit.

There is no money for me to be made, it's just something out of the love of talking to people.

Overall there are a few things I'm short, and it's just a matter or prioritizing the list based on the money which I have available.

Need lights, an external monitor, rain cover ( I couldn't find one specifically for my very small camera (I'm envious of all you guys that have nice larger rigs that get the chicks LOL) this brand is for SLR and DSLR's, but I wonder if it might work on the camera I have a Sony 760v (please don't laugh, I enjoy it)
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training <----- is the site for storm jackets what do you all think?

Thanks again.
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #20
Trustee

I would normally have a ton of questions for you to answer in order to provide decent advice - things like locations, and considerations therein - ala an office with big windows, etc. Who's this for, where will it be shown etc. BUT -

Inexpensive sounds like your main goal.

I would suggest buying something like a used Mole 2K zip light (soft), (with egg crate they go for about $350 on Ebay) a big sheet or two of foam core (for opposing bounce from the zip)
a couple of C-stands (you need to support this stuff) and possibly one Mini Mole for a back light.
This will cost about $700 if you can deal with Ebay and the waiting and lost purchase opportunities.

And because you bought this stuff used, guess what, it will be worth about the same if you go to sell it AND it will work with your next camera too :-)
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #21
Trustee

Have done a ton of interviews with a Lowell Rifa 500 watt softbox and a 150watt Prolight (small spotlight) for a backlight/hairlight. If you put the Rifa about 90 degrees to the direction the subject is facing and pull it forward so that the back side of the light is about even with back of the subject's head (leaving the front side forward somewhat, for wrap-around key light) you have a pretty nice setup.

I first saw a 60 Minutes crew using this setup many moons ago, it was good enough for CBS, was good enough for me. (Now they use elaborate metal-halide setups, last time I saw them, but that's another story) You could even sub a translucent umbrella and a cheap movie light, if you had to, for the softbox, but the effect is not as good. More elaborate is two softboxes, one above and front, one above and behind on a boom. If you have two facing subjects, this setup x 2.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #22
New Boot

Hi,

So this is a Rifa 500 Softbox
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32213-REG/Lowel_LC_55_EX_LC55EX_Rifa_Lite_eX_500.html
Does it come with something to sit on, or is that extra, what about recommendations on extra bulbs. It appears they are $60 a piece.

Also, I'm guessing by "Compact folded size (17") allows it to fit into many of Lowel's smallest location light kits." that I need to buy something to transport it in.

Under accessories there were Light controls "egg crates" for $150 to $300, not sure what their purpose is in relation to me.

Maybe I need to try to get some kind of a kit for noobs like me which has everything in it.
Any recommendations on where you would get that at

42nd, Adorama, BN, Porters, etc.

Once again thanks for all of your help, I'm trying to read books and magazines as well as forums to get information, but it's hard when you are going to spend what little money you have on something, you want to make sure it's right.

Appreciate it.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #23
Trustee

A Mole 2K zip light just went for under $200 on Ebay. Mini moles galore there too. :-)

Soft lights send their dispersed light all over the place (there goes that black void look).
That's their nature.
The egg-crate is basically a way to keep the light soft, but much more directional and focused.

HTH,

J.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #24
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fett View Post
Once again thanks for all of your help, I'm trying to read books and magazines as well as forums to get information, but it's hard when you are going to spend what little money you have on something, you want to make sure it's right.
Bob, I guess if you don't even have a budget to purchase lights then attending a workshop is out of the question, but I sure wish you could make it to my one-week interview lighting course next month at Maine Media Workshops. I think you'd be quite surprised at what you would learn, and how that training can be turned around into income-producing work. It'd be cool to see you there and watch as you learn the ropes. :-)

The Art of Lighting and Shooting Interviews | Cinematography Workshops | Maine Media
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #25
Trustee

There is a ton of stuff about how to set up interview lighting. Here is one article about using a single light. What to me may be missing, would be the added back light, but even that is not necessary.

Check this out:

ProVideo Coalition.com: Stunning Good Looks by Art Adams

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management