Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 11th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UK Lighting - Places to Buy?

Hello all.

Ive just read and scanned through a couple of pages here.

Im after some lighting gear for shooting music videos. Lighting is a new area for me. I can creatively light scenes and know what im doing but on the technical side - I am..in the dark..Oh dear.

The thread about the 800w Cheap Chinese Redheads was interesting. I had myself found those on eBay and I think ive now been convinced to stay clear.

What im after is a few websites where I can check out prices. Id like some recommendations please, either on the lights themselves or just the websites.

Im trying to stay below £300 and ideally £200 which I think is slightly unrealistic. I am open to either 2 or 3 lights.

Also, what about using gumtree etc for second hand lights? Is that advisable?
Shaun Forsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UK Lighting - Places to Buy?

I've never found much in the way of pro kit on gumtree here.

For new kit you have the usual suspects - Photon Beard, ianiro uk, Prestons's - but TV-bay is an excellent port of call.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Check out the Interfit range of tungsten lighting Shaun. Although really aimed at amateur photographers, it's remarkably well made for the price. I have a couple of their units; the 750 an 1000 watt ones, with the Pro softboxes and barn doors etc. and am really please with them.

Peter
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies Paul and Peter.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:10 AM   #5
Tourist

You can also check this website www.cinelight.com . They offer a wide range of affordable lights and accessories which may fit your budget and they also ship to UK.

Personally I have bought from them a couple of tungsten Fresnel and LED lights and I was pleased with the quality of the equipment and their services so I recommend them.
Alex Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex.

I bought some 2nd hand lights. £240 delivered for 3 x Ianiro spot lights
Ianiro, video lighting, production, lighting, broadcast, tripods, support

Seems like a good deal for me. Came with 3 x Osram 650w bulbs. Im now trying to find a cheap place to buy replacement bulbs. Should I stick with Osram or are there other equivalent brands?
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well done Shaun; they are nice little lights. They are fixed focus; so no adjustment of the beam angle, but provide a good amount of light in a small package.

I use Ianiro lights myself - and have the 800w Redhead varibeam and Fresnel ones which have adjustable beam angles and of course can produce pools of light with nice soft edges. You may want to look at these a bit further down the line.

With people moving away from tungsten lighting for some kind of work, they can be a very affordable option; especially second hand. I am a bit fussy over colour temp and CRI so chose to stay with "traditional" gear and think you'll be pleased with the kit.

Peter

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management