How to get this look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

How to get this look

I hope the collective wisdom can help me out here. A guitar player friend of mine asked me how to get this look........ he has an hv40.

I have an XH-A1 and a HV40, both with letus DOF adopters. Will the A1 handle this low light situation?

Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to get this look

Strong hard light from the right, softer hard light (make sense?) from the left. simple. adjust for the insert shots as needed to make it feel consistant.

Looks like fresnels to me... hard to say though
p
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Phil, is there a black back drop do you think?
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Major Player

could be, or a large room.
I think that there is a bare fresnel on the right and a fresnel with something like 216 on the left... maybe a softlight/scoop
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

Philip's assessment seems right, although I sense that the light from camera left is softer than a diffused fresnel--a larger source, perhaps a Chimera, and it looks to be slightly cooled off.

Michael, you called this a "low light" situation--there's no reason to think of it as such. "Low-key" is a more accurate term for this kind of lighting, but it could be achieved by lights so large that it would be near blinding! It's all about ratios. If you need to achieve that look with a DOF adaptor that sucks out a couple of stops, best to start with at least a 1K for the key side (and the same for the fill side, as the diffusion should knock out the appropriate amount of stop).
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Agreed. Probably backed off quite a bit though, It doesn't have the wrap around that a close large source would have.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Philip's assessment seems right, although I sense that the light from camera left is softer than a diffused fresnel--a larger source, perhaps a Chimera, and it looks to be slightly cooled off.

Michael, you called this a "low light" situation--there's no reason to think of it as such. "Low-key" is a more accurate term for this kind of lighting, but it could be achieved by lights so large that it would be near blinding! It's all about ratios. If you need to achieve that look with a DOF adaptor that sucks out a couple of stops, best to start with at least a 1K for the key side (and the same for the fill side, as the diffusion should knock out the appropriate amount of stop).
Thanks Charles, I have a guitarist friend who wants a video with this look, of course if you don't know what you are doing then it seems difficult, and the challenges of shooting with a DOF adopter are different at first, and I thought it would be hard in this lighting situation.

Would you say to shoot the frontal shots without the letus, and the shots along the fingerboard with the Letus?

I have a 750 watt light, and one fresnel light.

Thanks as well to Phil, for de mystifying this for me.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post

One other question, do you think this was shot in a large room, or could this be done with a black back drop?
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Thanks Phil, is there a black back drop do you think?
Can't tell. Most likely it's a backdrop, then just "cheat" the talent for the insert shots. I'd prefer a large room/sound stage. Less claustrophobic that way :)
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Major Player

For consistency in the look, I would shoot the whole thing with the Letus.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Re: Can the XH A1 do this....

Even before you try that type of shot, study lighting in general.

When you shoot test shots, soon as you start the camera, actually speak the camera and lighting setup on the cam mic .. distances, angles, heights every single setting. And keep the tape to refer to later, over the period you should notice improvements .. hopefully. :)

Also try different A1 custom presets.

Cheers.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Trustee

One more guess based on experience.

LIGHT #1
If you go to 3:12-3:14 you'll see the reflection from the front lighting instrument itself.
And, it looks like a 4 lamp fluorescent - like a kino 4x4. From the shadow's produced, it would
appear to be in front and slightly to his right - and a bit more than head height.

LIGHT #2
If you look at the gtr player's head @ 3:49, there is a strong shadow produced by a light on his left.
That instrument is close to a side light and head level (see the nose shadow). Probably a fresnel with
diffusion in as the head shadow is sharp, but as sharp as a fresnel with no diffusion.

Light #1 is cut or at least somewhat spotted hot on the talent.

IMO, the one thing missing is a back light. The player's head/hair disappears into the black BG.
A back light would help bring him out more.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management