DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Shall I order the Comer 1800 V2 ?

Seems to be one of the best all round on camera lights from what I've read. Easy to mount, dimmable, Sony batts, powerful and able to be shifted from 3200K to 4700K with the flip down orange filter.
Price seems Ok.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shall I order the Comer 1800 V2 ?

I like the Comer for certain things. Backlight, podium light (in a pinch). But for on camera it's a little too powerful and too focused for me. Now if your subject is far away it would work well. If I have to use an on camera light (I don't usually), I would use my LED 312 ASZ. It's a softer source and color temperature is adjustable. And it's lighter with two of the small batteries. I also use it as an interview light with a 16" foldable softbox that I just hold on it with tension. I haven't figured out a way to get a softbox on the Comer. Since I got the 312 ASZ my Comer has rarely made it into my pack.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Damn...just ordered the Comer. I also use Sony 970 Batts so at least I'll get some value there.
The 312 looks like it may have been more suitable as a camera light at half the price.
Oh well, see how it goes. Thanks Brett
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm very happy with the original 1800 on my EX1.
Weight for me is less of a problem as I power the light from the camera battery. If that's not an option I'd suggest the 950 rather than the 970 battery. The flipdown lens system to get a longer throw from the light is something I've used quite a lot, the extra flexibility that provides is a boon.
I do agree if it is the only light source then this light is perhaps too intense, I'm mainly using it for fill as there's always some light around or if not I use 2x Z96 LED lights with an eclectic collection of stands and grips "things". I have tried a small piece of opal gel held onto the barn doors to soften the 1800 and that seems to work OK. For a more professional look, 4x Velcro dots could be used to hold the gel on.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management