DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Avenger C-Stand...Possible Problem

Hello Everyone,

Recently purchased an Avenger A2030D c stand along with a D600 boom and I received them today.
Just noticed that there is a small dent in the bottom of the A2030D stand just above the legs on the main pole (pictured below). It's about 1.5 inches above the legs and about .5 inch across running perpendicular to the pole and parallel with the ground.
It appears that it might be part of the design as it's a very neat dent with clean edges but I want to make sure as I'm worried that it could've been caused by shipping and could potentially cause structural failure if it's not supposed to be there:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3613/sam2426s.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/566/sam2427.jpg

Should I be worried? Do I need to send it back and get another one? Anybody own one of these stands and do yours have a similar dent?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Glade
Glade Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Avenger C-Stand...Possible Problem

I don't have that stand, but it sure looks like it got damaged during shipping. I don't think it's part of the design.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Trustee

It might possibly be a way of "securing" the stand's base insert in the tube. If so it's real cheapy-ass way of doing it. None of the pictures of this stand that I could find on the web show this dimple however. Probably a defect....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the help, guys. Will be sending it back to B&H tomorrow.
Glade Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Um, yeah, that's not that "clean", looks like damage to me.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Yep, it got dinged.

Simple as that.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Trustee

FWIW, where I worked before retirement, we had the Matthews c-stands. They are freakin' indestructable.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I own the same stand which does not have a dent. I have been happy with mine and would buy another. The best feature which is not exclusive to Avenger, is having the "turtle base" which you can low mount a light on if need be and having the ability to remove the base for packing.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

So that is the second C-Stand from B&H that have that issue (actually the other one was totaly FUBAR).

I wonder if the dropped a container somewhere in the chain,.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Trustee

Before signing for a shipment one should look the container/box over for any signs of possible damage and note anything noticed on the receipt.

If the delivery carrier just leaves the container at your door then contact them right away to notify them of any possible problem.

I remember receiving a recliner in a cardboard box and it was found there was damage to the feet or support. The shipper, a local delivery trucking company, manager came and cut the footprint on the cardboard off and took it back to the depot to try and find who it belonged to. It was a very small company.

From the damage to the support, though, I'd say this probably happened even before it left the seller. Usually stands like this are shipped in cardboard boxes and there is no way to make that kind of dent without totally mushing the box. Unless, maybe, it was a re-pack, demo, or say, returned item.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Major Player

I would send it back. It's not really a B&H issue. I have sent written complaints to B&H regarding their primary shipper, UPS, and I've had to refuse shipment on a couple of boxes with holes large enough to put your fist through. I've also had a box delivered by UPS completely crushed. I swear, it looked like they used for a soccer ball. Whatever caused the "crease" in 16-gauge steel (estimate) was a pretty hard hit. It will also start to stress corrode in a short time. Return it!

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Trustee

I had a couple of stands rendered unusable because some students wrenched pipe clamps too tight which caused dents that stopped the pipes from telescoping smoothly.

I agree with those who say to send it back.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management