DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Reception Lighting Alternative

Hi There,

Since reception lights ( The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME ) are no longer available has anyone come up with a good alternative? Also, has anyone used a similar method at a ceremony that's dimly/candle lit?
It would be nice to have a spotlight on the wedding party as they're coming down the aisle.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Reception Lighting Alternative

There are a number of LED lights on the market that put out plenty of light and free you from shore power.

I used a couple LED panels recently to do an impromptu video of a blues performer.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Major Player

If you are plugging the lights into a wall AC, then perhaps these remotes cam offer a good and affordable alternative, Remote Starter Kit (RC6500-DEAL-HA)

Led lights, unless they are very spotty and very bright, don't do much for distances over 40 feet. I have seen bridal party introductions at dark receptions well over 60 feet. What I use is an on camera led that has 2 beam angles. one of 70 degrees wide and one of 15 degrees spot. The spot reaches out to 50 ft. and is great for first dance highlighted. After that I switch the led to wide mode for the rest of the evening. The light is a 2400 lux at wide and 10,000 lux on spot, 3200K of course.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Major Player

That LED with remotes is great! It would be nice not to have to rely on outlets, so an affordable battery setup would be perfect?!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
If you are plugging the lights into a wall AC, then perhaps these remotes cam offer a good and affordable alternative, Remote Starter Kit (RC6500-DEAL-HA)

Led lights, unless they are very spotty and very bright, don't do much for distances over 40 feet. I have seen bridal party introductions at dark receptions well over 60 feet. What I use is an on camera led that has 2 beam angles. one of 70 degrees wide and one of 15 degrees spot. The spot reaches out to 50 ft. and is great for first dance highlighted. After that I switch the led to wide mode for the rest of the evening. The light is a 2400 lux at wide and 10,000 lux on spot, 3200K of course.
Arthur,

Do you have a link to the angled lights you use? I saw some 3rd party 650W Tungsten Fresnel at this link, but didn't know if you get the same quality:

650W Tungsten Fresnel Video Spot Movie Light Continuous Lighting as Arri | eBay
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Troy, the battery powered lights ( 6 volts or 12 voltd DC ) can be used with this type of DC remote switch:
6V DC REMOTE CONTROL RELAY SWITCH 6VDC OUTPUT with 2 remote control RS60 | eBay

That is, if you do not want to plug anything into the wall. There are many manufacturers that make these. This particular one works with 6 volt battery and at distances of up to 50 ft. as specified. if you look around, you may come across same types that offer 12 volts DC ( preferable) and ranges of 100 ft. or better. All you need to do is connect your 12 V DC light's battery to the remote receiver box. No AC necessary.
Now if you are talking about the 650 watt Fresnel, that is AC with the wire to the wall.

The 2 angle lights I use are custom made, Sorry, I cannot advertise here.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Arthur! I would definitely prefer the 12 volt, but this gives me a start.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have 2 of the inexpensive 160LED lights I picked up on Amazon. I wired each with a Logisys Remote I got on Ebay (total cost of lights and remotes=less than $60.00 each) I already had stands and batteries, and BAM! I can turn them on and off from a pretty good distance (relative of course-inside at reception probably 50 feet and less) and they work great for me. Small, easy to carry and setup, no cables anywhere and 1 off brand 550 Sony type battery will get me thru an entire evening. If they break, I'm not really worried about it. For the money I'll buy 6 new ones a year.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Ordered 2 lights (great price on Amazon) and the remotes off Ebay. I actually already have a LED that ordered a few years ago. I just haven't used it much because the mount bracket was too flimsy. Maybe i can put it to use now and it appears that the mounting bracket has been corrected with the new LEDs.
I'm no electrician, but my guess is that connecting the lights to the remote relay is not that difficult?

Thanks for all the help!

Troy
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hey Troy, my buddy Chris H helped me with a wiring diagram. I'll e-mail the diagram to you. Just be careful when cutting the wires and soldering the connections. The first one took me about 10 minutes since I wasn't 100% sure of what I was doing but the 2nd tool about 5 minutes including taking it apart and putting it back together.
BTW, the remotes have very long wires so I cut them and ran them thru one of the vent holes of the light.
Look for an email from me.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Don! Just what I needed.
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Trustee

i have three of these on remote switch and they are great, same as Arri, give me enough light even for the most dark receptions, and they are not floods so ambience is not ruined, but i'd say enhanced.
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
i have three of these on remote switch and they are great, same as Arri, give me enough light even for the most dark receptions, and they are not floods so ambience is not ruined, but i'd say enhanced.
Thanks Bubba! I like this setup as well. I was just a little unsure of the lights because they weren't Arri's.

Thanks,
Troy
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #14
Major Player

Received my LED lights and remotes. I order both the remotes that work from a power outlet and the kind that work with the battery powered lights. The power outlet devices tested great! Now I have to connect the lights electronically. Should be pretty simple with the instructions I received. I have some pretty tall light stands, so I should be okay there. However, I did see some here for $50 for anyone who needs some:

Thanks,
Troy
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Major Player

I was able to finish wiring the light and it worked great! I was even able to wire my CN-126 light. The wires are a little different, but I was able to figure it out. Now I have to order another remote and one of the 650w lights. Thanks for all the help!

Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management