Transporting LED lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Transporting LED lights?

How do you guys transport your lights? I just bought a 500 LED ePhoto light which I like, but is kinda a pain to move... right now I have it wrapped in foam in a backpack, but I feel like there must be a better solution, especially when I buy another one. Any recommendations? I guess I could just get a pelican case or something, but that's kinda pricey...

Thanks,
Evan
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Transporting LED lights?

Kinda tough if you're a solo shooter. You're probably doing the best now .. if you're going to night locations, park as close as you can get to the scene
and carry the items indoors.

Just remember to lock the car each time, so we don't read another sad thread. Get the client to help.

Cheers.
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Depending on the dimensions, you might be able to repurpose a rolling catalog case. I bought one for $30 at Marshalls/Ross years ago and it served as a great stealth transport for an XH-A1 with enough room for accessories. Bonus...it has locks, a long handle, and doesn't scream 'steal me'.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not sure how your light compare to liepanels. Our litepanels came with a case that fits the panels perfectly and we carry it on when we fly. In fact all lite panel sets come with a carrying case.
Noe some of the other units I see have dimensions that would not be suitabbut easye for these cases.
I would either use a large computer carry on bag or if your units are large purchase a hard cover carryon bag and of course use some foam to cover all sides.
LED's, the real ones, are an expensive easy set up for eng work or three way interview lighting. but if you travel like we do the intial investment has to take that into consideration.
What is the lifetime value of your purchase- if you need to replace your lights because of poor traveling equipment you will always go back and think if I only bought litepanels to start with I would be saving money
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmm ok thanks guys. I mainly am just looking for something to put the light into to keep it safe while it's in my trunk, not getting smashed by other gear. Does anyone know of a place that sells foam pelican case style inserts for regular suitcases? I imagine I could get a big one cheap at marshalls, then put foam in it and have it hold all my lighting gear. Doesn't need to be an expensive hard case...
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Costco and other similar stores have very nice hard shell rolling suitcases for a pretty reasonable price. Foam in various sizes can be gotten at pretty much any large fabric store. Over the years I've bought lots of foam at Hancock Fabrics and while it's tempting to buy it online, I prefer to go into the store. This way I can look and feel the foam so I know if it's the right stuff.
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Costco sells a rubbermaid black plastic box, made for sporting goods, which just perfectly fits three of the LED 1200 panels that I bought from ephotoinc.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Oh, and costco also sells a folding dolly which lets me roll that box of LED lights with a bunch of stands laying on top, from car to location.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management